Battle for Leyte Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Someone posted the question as to whether any wrecks resulting from the Battle for Leyte Gulf were divable. I have done a little study on this question and my answer would be "no". However, if you define the Battle for Leyte Gulf more broadly (see my article at www.microworks.net/pacific/battles/new_look_leyte.htm/) you may agree with me that the final battle of the erstwhile 4-battle war was the Battle of Ormoc Bay and then you are in divable territory. A dive is currently (5/9/05) being planned on an American destroyer, the U.S.S. COOPER (DD-695) and the IJN KUWA. However, no dives have yet been done or planned for 4 Japanese fleet destroyers sunk in Ormoc Bay on November 11, 1944. (NOTE: In the link above, the computer replaced my word "battles" with "b..." for some mysterious reason. Please correct it before transmitting a message to the site).

Hi Irwin,
Just to let you know that Rob Lalumiere dived on the 29th of May the USS Cooper @ 194m succesfully.
Working up to the dive we dived several times the Kuwa a Japanese warship.
We found also a plane @ 60m but are not sure yet what type of bomber it is.
regards
Ron Loos

Back
Top Bottom