Battery life vs convenience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering what people were generally doing...

As we're mostly vacation divers, there are times when our computers go unused for several months at a time. As we all know, batteries slowly get drained while inside electronics, even if it's just for keeping time, so I was contemplating removing the batteries for the duration of these no-diving months just to avoid needlessly running down the batteries. Obvious downside is that you lose all the settings (not that there are a lot of them, it's mostly date and time which tend to go askew anyway) and the additional strain on the o-ring.

I don't remove them, but it's a different value proposition with different models. For my wrist unit, I dive an old Oceanic VT3 and transmitter. Every time I have to replace the battery, I worry I'm doing it wrong and it's going to flood. Batteries aren't real expensive, and seem to last quite awhile.

I've been reading about the LiquiVision Lynx, and got the impression it's battery life is more limited and the batteries more expensive, but perhaps someone who has one can confirm this?

Richard.

Some actually recommend removing. What does the manual say?

Some actually recommend removing. What does the manual say?
The ones I have and know (Mares Puck and Oceanic Veo) don't. The Puck manual even recommends battery changes to be done by an authorized dealer only, heh, whereas the Veo's manual recommends to change the battery once a year, no matter what.

My Icon is good for 500 or so recharge cycles and is not consumer replaceable. For my Tachyon, metal detector, and FantaSea light I always take the batteries out and check for a full charge before diving. In a wrist computer I wouldn't bother. I'd be more worried about the O-ring seal if I was continuously changing out the batteries.

Some batteries in my computers have gone for 3 yrs and other times have only a yr. Depends on useage, etc. Currently, my computer uses 2450's and is user changeable... So I just leave the battery in. When I go on vacation, I just buy a nice new fresh battery to take as a spare. When the warning symbol comes on, I change it.

Some batteries in my computers have gone for 3 yrs and other times have only a yr. Depends on useage, etc. Currently, my computer uses 2450's and is user changeable... So I just leave the battery in. When I go on vacation, I just buy a nice new fresh battery to take as a spare. When the warning symbol comes on, I change it.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom