Battery life on new camera housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milton gee

Reaction score
Trying to find new life for my old D 510 oly, I bought it an uw housing hoping to take it scuba diving. Using everready NimH batteries "1850" and finding that I can only take about 6 pics in the housing before the "low battery" indicator comes on. Should I scrap the idea of using rechargeable battteries? Is there a better rechargeable battery system on the market?
thanks.

What batteries were you using before you put it in that housing? It's not the housing that's using the energy! You need better than Eveready!

I use 2000 or 2200 PowerX NiMH rechargeable batteries. I change them after 2 dives, even though they still have juice left. In those two dives I ma take 150+ pictures with a strobe, my monitor is on all the time as well as full time auto focus. I have done 3 dives on a set of batteries but since i have to change memory cards after 2 dives, I change batteries while I have the housing open. The MAHA 204f Smart Charger charges fast, safe and helps me keep the batteries conditioned. Some of my older 1500+ batteries are 2 yrs old and still going strong.

Thanks for the advice. This camera is turned on by pulling the lens cover back. It's suppose to go on standby after 3 minutes and turn off after four. Is the housing going to change this? I ordered the batteries and charger. yuou suggested. I was using Energizer NimH's. Thanks again.

milton gee once bubbled...
Thanks for the advice. This camera is turned on by pulling the lens cover back. It's suppose to go on standby after 3 minutes and turn off after four. Is the housing going to change this? I ordered the batteries and charger. yuou suggested. I was using Energizer NimH's. Thanks again.

When it turns off after 4 min. can you turn it back on without closing the lens cover? Like maybe half-pressing the shutter? Some of that designed can't. If you can't, then you can't use it in a housing. If you can, then you'll be OK. Good Luck!

Thanks again, well I guess I'll just have to take a picture every 3 minutes. Which is fine. My average bottom time is just around 45 minutes anyway. I'll have lots of battery life. Do you know if your Sea and Sea external flash will work with my d-510?

Back
Top Bottom