Battery and service questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read the article about the Nautilus Lifeline in Alert Diver. I'm very interested in purchasing a couple of these before my wife and I go on our first live-aboard trip, hopefully later this year. It sounds like you've come up with a great lifesaving device. I'm eagerly awaiting the first "this thing saved my life!" story to pop up here on SB. :wink:

On to the questions:

The Alert Diver article states the unit has 24 hours of power when brand new, but how does that degrade over time? How many hours will I get when the unit has 4 years and 150 vacation dives under its belt?

Can the battery be replaced once it is "worn out"? How do I know when it needs replacing?

How long does it take to do a full charge (via USB if I remember the correctly)? Any other charging options?

A couple non-battery questions: Any maintenance or wear parts (o-rings?) on the device? What's the service schedule? Is it user-serviceable or do we have to ship it back to you?

Delta,

If the GPS can be turned off, best to turn it off. My HX850 has a GPS built in and it will drain battery faster. Turn on the GPS at new locations to capture the almanac, and when needed you will get a "warm" start, not a slow "cold" start. Every change of position of I think at 150 miles or so, is best to get the almanac again. H850 is a floater so battery size is only 1350 mAh.

My Icom M72 is a sinker with biggest battery capacity available for a handheld ( most likely ) is appox 2000mAh and that sure can do stand by of 24 hours with perhaps +-5 minutes transmission at low power of 0.5 watt.

My GPS logger Holux MC-1000 can do approx 20 hours on its handphone type battery size. So GPS is also a power drainer.

I am sure Lifeline is using lithium ion ( correct me if I am wrong ), that thing can hold charge well and can be charged anytime. My lit-ion VHF are all top up per 3-4 months when not in use. Stay away from niMH if application is emergency unit.

Have fun with your Lifeline and do report back if you have played with it....:D

These are good and valid questions that I would like to know the answer to as well. Let's hope someone from Nautilus comes along and posts here.

Thank you for your interest in the Nautilus Lifeline. Fantastic that you are interested in adding the Nautilus Lifeline to your dive gear. We are all eagerly
anticipating the release.

The Nautilus Lifeline battery is rated for 250 full cycles. The battery meter, shown on the LCD screen, will indicate the charge level of the battery. If your unit is still under warranty and if the battery will no longer hold a charge greater than 80% we will gladly replace the battery for you. Should you need to
change your battery, send your unit back to us as only Authorized Nautilus Lifeline repair technicians can replace or repair the Lifeline. Batteries are not
user serviceable.
It will take 4 to 5 hours for the Nautilus Lifeline to receive a full charge from complete battery depletion. If you are 'topping up' the battery it will only take approximately 1 hour. To allow for ease of use world wide, the Nautilus Lifeline is charged through USB. This can be done with a computer or USB wall
adapter.

Nautilus Lifeline o-rings will be available for purchase from both our website and from our dealers located around the world. We recommend annual
replacement of o-rings to maintain the life of your unit. The service schedule on the Lifeline is situational – as it will depend somewhat on how much you
are using your unit. We recommend service every 2 years (to a certified Nautilus Lifeline repair facility).

Please let us know if you have any further questions. You can order a Lifeline on our website at Nautilus Lifeline Diver Radio and GPS or view our dealer map at Nautilus Lifeline - Worldwide Dealer Map to find your local dealer.

Sincerely,
The Nautilus Lifeline Team

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom