Batteries in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know because that is one item I do pack. I don't want too be searching for the right battery when I could be diving!

Any input on battery costs in Bonaire? Such as for AA and C cell. I would expect them to cost a little more, but is it ridiculous? And are they readily available?
Yes! It is ridiculous! I miscounted for my trip, and ended up having to buy a set of 4 AA batteries...for $12. I didn't look at C's but...

Readily available, yeah, I had no problem finding them. But count it out and bring your own!

Plan on bringing your own, and include an extra pack just in case. But remember to take the used batteries home with you to recycle them since Bonaire doesn't have the facilities to handle used batteries.

I usually take 2-3x the batteries I am going to need on a trip and more often than not end up being a hero to one of my travel buddies who realized they forgot to pack them right before we jump in the water at our night dive. Batteries and sunscreen are two things you can bet on paying 5x normal for if you get them on vacation. Have fun.

Dad gum it. Those batteries are extra weight. that sux. But, thank you for the advice! I will do. Got the sunscreen covered, thanks to previous recommendations.

Plan on bringing your own, and include an extra pack just in case. But remember to take the used batteries home with you to recycle them since Bonaire doesn't have the facilities to handle used batteries.

If they have the facilities to handle cruise ship waste, they probably should be able to handle a few old batteries.

Many places in the Caribbean not only will batteries be expensive, but sometimes they'll be old or off brands and not work all that well either. Really better to take them. Small and easy to tuck in your carryon, so weight doesn't matter places they don't weigh carryons.

I've gone to all AA rechargeables, so I don't have the weight of spares. If I need C-cells, I use adapters.

AFAIK current non-rechargeable batteries don't need any special handling, they just go into the regular trash anymore. I usually take the opposite approach - if I have regular batteries (even used that have some life) a DM of someone locally will generally be happy to get them.

AA NIMHs are the way to go. A few simple C to AA adapters and you can handle pretty much any need. I carry a 8 bay charger and 3 full sets of batteries, one charging, one ready to go and the other is in use. I got tired of half used batteries that were too good to throw away but not good enought to trust on a trip. Rechargables solved the problem.

Small and easy to tuck in your carryon, so weight doesn't matter places they don't weigh carryons.
Yeah, but you may get some questions from the TSA personnel as to why you have so many batteries in your carryon.

Better to pack them as checked luggage.

Back
Top Bottom