Batteries for strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zebra mussel

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experiance using NiMH batteries in Sea and Sea storbes. The instructions for my YS 90dx say not to use them..but...the new Sea and Sea web site lists the approx. number of flashes you can expect out of various types of batteries and lists NiMH. Anybody use these?Any problems with them?.It would be simpler to only have to carry one type of AA when traveling. Thanks

The instructions that came with my YS90DXs, which I bought last September from Japan, say that I can use NiMH. I know Sea & Sea were worried that the NiMH would discharge gases during use, leading to high pressures in the battery compartment. I'm not sure if S&S modified the strobe to allow release of the gases or if their testing found it not a problem. If there was a modification and you have one of the unmodified earlier models, then you may be stuck with the non NiMH batteries. But if S&S just determined that NiMH could be used without any modification to the YS90DXs, then you're all set. I'm not sure how you can find this out, as S&S customer service is pretty shoddy. I think this topic was discussed in earlier threads and the concensus was that you're OK using the NiMH batteries.

S&S changed the battery cap design a couple years ago. This was a free exchange program for anyone who had the older YS strobes. After the change, they approved the use of NiMH batteries. I've been using them in my YS90DX since the change with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom