Bathophobia & Acrophobia: Are They Linked?

Are You Afraid of Depths and/or Heights?

• Yes to both

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Yes to depth, no to heights

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • No to depth, yes to heights

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • No to both

Votes: 33 53.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Tours N Iraq`

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm doing a non-scientific study to see if there is a correlation between the fear of depths and the fear of heights. As always, answers to this poll are completely confidential. I'm just curious as to what the outcome is as it may shed a little light on why some divers have a fear of diving deep. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Blane

I don't think that I have a fear of heights, though I will say that I start to get REALLY careful when I am above about 40 feet. (tree work, construction, so on).

I have found that after about 15 feet deep, I can't tell how far down I am, so my brain says "20 Feet!" even at 60.

I think that I have had more problems being up, than being down. (but I am a new diver)

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do an nonscientific study of anything? I mean, that means unscientific --essentially unreliable data.

Just wondering.

Jeff

I am not afraid of depths or of heights.

I am afraid of widths...

2 Tours,

I think it's relative. I can climb tall ladders, work from them and not be uncomfortable. But a while back I had the opportunity to be on the roof of my office building, 32 stories tall in downtown Denver. When I crept up very carefully and looked over the edge it kinda took my breath away. By the same token, when I am diving very deep, I tend to watch my dive buddy more closely and check my psi more often. For example, after one of the last deep dives Sarah and I did, she asked me afterwards how come I kept flashing the "ok" sign so often, and was I narced or something. I said I could feel it a bit, and she asked if I saw the Muppets on the wall(it was a wall dive) also. I had to laugh, but the point is I don't think I'm scared, just more aware and respectful of where I am.

Cheers!

It doesn't bother me in the least (except for the cold, locally) to be 100ft+ down,.... but just try to get me to go more than a couple of rungs up a step ladder& I go to mush:D. Weird ain't it?

I'd like to offer my completely confidential answer. :wink:

Afraid of heights - BIG TIME! If I don't hyperventilate, I tend to hold my breath. I absolutely despise the person that thought up glassed in elevators in hotels. WTH were they thinking?

Afraid of depths - never even occured to me. 10' or 100' doesn't make any difference to me. I haven't been in really deep water like a wall that goes down forever but depth doesn't bother me (yet! thanks for the suggestion, though!). Now, if I jump into 50' and can see the bottom WAY DOWN THERE I'm liable to start sucking down a tank real fast but I always thought that was my fear of heights.

Jim

A little fear, or alot of fear? Heck, everyone has a little fear of both height and depth. But you should define - to the point of extreme fear. Certainly I have more anxiety diving down to depths of 90 plus feet, but it is normal, good, and expected. If a diver doesn't have some anxiety - he probably shouldn't be doing such dive. A little anxiety is good - it is a sign of maturity. Alot of anxiety is bad - and it is a psychiatric diagnosis.

I am more afaid to fall from heights! I love to rock climb! & I only go deep for money. I know what is deep? well you tell me.
See you topside! John

I guess I should say that I am not "afraid" of heights, but I do have a healthy respect for them. I don't like to hang over the edge of cliffs, etc. but I am not afraid of climbing ladders or glass elevators. So really, even though I voted yes to hts, it really isn't afraid but just cautious.
Depths don't bother me at all, but that is all relative. I have been to 120-130' several times, no big deal, don't really want to be down there long as it depletes my air too quickly. I'd rather be in the 60-80' range where I would have twice the bottom time!

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom