Basking Sharks in Ireland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're taking a family trip to Ireland in mid-May, my wife and I would love to get a day or two of diving in and saw lots of possible basking shark boat trips, but none that mentioned scuba. Does anyone know of a dive shop that does dive trips around basking sharks if they're in the area in Ireland? We're primarily thinking western and southwestern Ireland, but can change spots if it increases our odds.

Thanks for any info!

I was born in Co Kerry and when we went back there in July people on an all day board trip saw basking sharks around the Blasket Islands. There are some dive shops there , but be aware that the Atlantic conditions are likely to nene very very very challenging.

Scuba Diving In Ireland with Oceanaddicts - OceanAddicts

They might be able to help. They are very good and very nice.

I don’t think anyone will take you scuba diving with basking sharks. Snorkling yes, but a bit like the whale shark trips in Mexico, not scuba.

I did a trip with Basking Shark Scotland off Oban. It was snorkling even though the same people also run scuba trips for other purposes.

Either they really don’t want to risk freaking out the animals with bubbles etc, don’t want to have divers following them down, or can’t be dealing with the hassle when 90% of customers are not divers.

Btw, in May it will still be a bit cold. I would guess 12C ish.

Weather is always an issue. When I was out off Oban we had force 6 and a sea state such that they could have been 20m away and you’d not see them. Previous and following weeks they were seen all over the place.

Basking sharks are listed on Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) (as amended) and as such are protected against killing, taking or injuring as well as the intentional or reckless disturbance or harassment.

Operators can see what snorkels are doing, but not divers who might unintentionally cause disturbance or harassment, leaving the operator liable to prosecution. Hence the reluctance to allow Scuba with them.

My dad swam with basking sharks a couple times. I’ve never heard of anyone diving with them. South of Ireland will be the best place to find them, particularly Kerry. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom