Basking Shark off Pebble Beach 8/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Instructor friend of mine saw it from shore while watching students dive. Shark was no more than 30-40 yards from the beach.

Nice, are you getting the camera ready? that will make one good footage!!!

Thanks, and happy dives.

P.S. I want to congratulate you for thesucces of "Still On Her Keel" great work, i'm very happy for you, all the awards are well deserved. Continue like that, great things are coming for you man, god bless you.

PeaceDog:
Instructor friend of mine saw it from shore while watching students dive. Shark was no more than 30-40 yards from the beach.

I saw one up close and personal when I was a kid off of cape cod. I was in knee deep water, and it couldn't have been more than 20 feet from me and it was HUGE. There was a lot of seaweed that year, and people say that was what brought it in so close.

Needless to say I SHEET MYSELF!!!

Thanks, Raf. It's been a crazy year that just keeps getting crazier. I owe it all to a big hunk of steel on the bottom of the ocean and three old coots who dove it together. I appreciate all the support! And unfortunately, I had a shooting gig topside so I wasn't at the beach...alas. A missed opportunity. But then again, you don't really expect to see basking sharks in 15 feet of water off Pebble Beach.

Jim, you're not the first person I've heard of having a super close encounter with one of these sharks. Hopefully this guy will hang around for a while and the rest of us might be lucky enough to steal a glance on a dive this year. Me and my camera rig certainly hope so!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom