Basic Safety Accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I've been looking for a thread on emergency basic accessories, because I'm looking to improve my kit.

I just read an article by Brett Gilliam in the last Fathoms issue on surface survival and he recommends the following items. He's logged over 15,000 dives and has a ton of experience so I figure his suggestions carry some weight:
- safety sausage
- flasher or strobe
- signalling mirror
- smoke for day and flares for night
- compact folding radar reflector
- Dive-alert inflator integrated sonic alert

OK, I've got an orange sausage, but based on what i've read on scubaboard, i'm going to get yellow as it's more visible. I have no idea what a folding compact radar reflector is and I'm pretty sure it's not going to fit in my BC pocket anyway. But I am going to stuff a CD into my pocket (why two taped together?). I have a whistle, but damn, those Dive-Alerts are looking like it's worth it. I was in the Florida Keys over Memorial Day weekend and I heard one drifting diver from another boat use it at the surface where we were experiencing high current. You WILL be heard even if you aren't seen!

My main question has to do with a strobe light. I want to have a strobe light that's small, long-lasting and visible at night on the surface from as far away as possible. I checked out Leisurepro and they have several but I don't know which one is best. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Reiko

Id go for a proper self sealing delayed marker buoy rather than a sausage. These tend to be bigger, dont lose air on the surface, are easier to deploy from depth and tend to be more visible.

As for the rest, ive got a strobe light attached to the top of my BC inflator hose, my hood and other parts of my suit (particulary upper body) have SOLAS patches glued on. I also carry 2 torches which could be used at night to signal to someone.

Some people use CDs or mirrors to reflect the sun.

People also are starting to put tank driven air horns onto their inflator hose.

Dont forget the most useful aid when diving, tell someone where you're going and when you're expected back ! That way if something does happen you can be safe in the knowledge the search should start soon after your latest reported in-time.

Im not sure how it works in the USA but a friend/relative can perform this role but over here so do the coast guard either via VHF or telephone.

Back
Top Bottom