Basic Q about lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi there

just wondering if its okay to leave the lens on the camera when im not using it, eg over night etc...

its a dslr and i have a special case for it with a part with a hole for the lens to sit in and the camera to sit on top of if u know what i mean:dork2:

just wondering because it seems that when i take the lens out theres a chance that dust can get into the sensor and mirror and if im removing the lens every couple of hours to take a few shots theres more of chance that dust will get in there

thanks guys i know its a basic thing but i wanna take care of my camera and i wanna see whats the right way i wouldnt wanna damage the lens or the sensor by leaving the lens on too long or something

I never take the lens off unless I'm putting another on. There's no reason too. Most camera bags support the body with a lens. The lens cap protects the lens. Hope that helps.

+1...My dslrs almost always have lenses on them.

When they don't, your camera did come with a body cap that sits in the lens port and keeps dust out. Each lens has a front and rear cap, too. All of my lenses that are not in use have these caps on them religiously.

BTW, just a quick note on filters. A UV filter on all your lenses can be a real lens saver. I have one on all my lenses. Just have to remember to take it off before it goes in the housing. I dropped my camera out of a backpack...came unzipped...well it hit an angled protrusion on the way down shattering the UV filter but the filter protected the lens from a nasty ding or scratch. Well worth the $15 spent.

thanks guys

does a uv filter make any differance to the pictures taken above or below water

i got a uv and pl filter for my e900 but when i take shots with it on and off i cant see any differance

is it just my eys or am i doing something wrong

Last edited:
UV filters are for protection.

If you have a good one - not a $10 one usually - you should not see much, if any, impact on your images. I would take it off for underwater as it's really only there to protect the front element of your lens and you don't need it uw.

I don't have filters on my glass and have no plans to do so for my normal shooting. Each to their own.

If you want to protect your lens, you might want to check out neutral or daylight filters. UV's have a tendency to "warm-up" colors. I am with Alcina: have shot for years without them and never had an issue with scratched lenses.

We just returned from a Florida Keys photo shoot, and another downside of filters literally came to light. When strobes fired there was a reflected image of the writing on a filter/lens reflected onto a dome port. The solution was to black out the lettering.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom