Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Türkiye (Turkey)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I wrong in thinking that those fins are still produced and available for sale ? From your pictures, they all seem brand new.
The fins do indeed appear to be still in production. They can be purchased from a variety of Turkish online retailers that choose to stock them.

The fins do indeed appear to be still in production. They can be purchased from a variety of Turkish online retailers that choose to stock them.
Funny, if you're a vintage diver, but diving with them on a regular basis ? I'm puzzled.

Funny, if you're a vintage diver, but diving with them on a regular basis ? I'm puzzled.
Though still available new today, these fins have been around for several decades. I don't snorkel with them as I don't have any in my size. Nomenclature is a bit of an issue here too: what do you call a currently available fin model that has kept exactly the same design since, say, the 1970s? Classic, perhaps, as well as historic and vintage?

For me, "vintage" means more than just the historic period of manufacture, it is also to do with the technology and the material used in manufacturing the product. As a vintage snorkeller, I would never don a silicone-skirted diving mask or a plastic-bladed swimming fin, whether made currently or a few decades ago, but I would be prepared to swim with a rubber-skirted oval mask or all-rubber full-foot fins made nowadays. A bit of a compromise, I suppose.

Thanks for the like and the posts, JMBL.

The Adalılar Kauçuk Süper Jet Model 2 fin:

1726030764030.png

1726030791786.png
1726030806080.png

A closed-heel open-toe fin whose blade is reinforced with multiple ribs front and rear.

These fins were previously manufactured by another Turkish diving equipment maker, Nilsan Nil Deniz Kauçuk, where they were given the product name "Unomarine" (below). You may also recognise the original design as the Mares sub "Blue Marine", made in Italy.

1726031130956.png

Finally, we come to the Adalılar Kauçuk Taifun fin.

1726031349155.png
1726031368905.png

1726031397251.png

This full-foot open-toe fin resembles the Turkish manufacturer's Jetta model in its rib reinforcement and heel pattern.

Some Nilsan Nil Deniz Kauçuk underwater swimming products at the weekend.

I'm grateful for the likes, JMBL.

1726308642609.png

1726308658104.png

On now to Nilsan Nil Deniz Kauçuk Sanayi ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi (Nilsan Nil Deniz Rubber Industry and Trading Corporation). Huseyin Basargan founded the company in Istanbul in 1978 to fabricate swimming and diving equipment under the brand names “Nil Deniz” [Nile Sea], “Nil Marin” [Nile Marine] and “Summer & Marine”.

We shall be reviewing the diving mask, the breathing tube and the swimming fins of natural rubber construction in the Nil Deniz/Nil Marin repertoire of diving and swimming goods over the decades since the foundation of the enterprise. Nilsan currently uses soft plastic and thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) materials only to manufacture its fin models.

The Nilsan diving mask.

So an oval mask with a plastic rim and a rubber skirt. The split head strap is held in place by twin plastic buckles.

Next for review midweek will be the Nilsan snorkel and a pair of Nilsan fins.
This appears to not be an “oval” mask, but rather a very old-style circular mask. I think this is one of the first designs, from some of the really old-time divers who made their masks out of fire hoses.

SeaRat

Thanks for the likes, John. The Nilsan model indeed is circular and I've read many times here the story of Charlie Sturgill's custom firehose diving masks, wh9ch of course would have had a round profile.

The Nilsan breathing tube.

1726634748794.png
1726634773991.png

Contoured profile, open top, combined rubber elbow and lugged mouthpiece. Note "Nildeniz" embossed on elbow.

Back
Top Bottom