basement i-beam hanger idea...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
when I am not diving i am trying to organize my diving gear and garage to stay better organized.
I have for years been hanging my scuba BCD's and drysuit after use on a metal i-beam that runs across my garage. it works fine, but there are some problems w/ this. For instance I try to move something stored in a shelf near the gear, and the bcd falls off the ibeam to the floor.

I am looking to buy a few of these vertical pipe holders, and then mount some 1/2 black pipe, run a small piece vertical down and then install a 90 elbow, then attach a piece going over about 18" and then attach to another 90 and up to the other support strap.

Has anyone have any other ideas for doing this that worked well for you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 7.23.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 7.23.54 PM.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 116
If it's a steel I-beam, I'd just buy a length of 1/4 inch angle iron and tack weld it every foot or so to the edge of the lower part of the I-beam, creating a lip to keep the hangar from falling off. Another option, if the I-beam can afford to have a few holes drilled in it is to use large eye bolts as your hanger for the horizontal rod.

Respectfully,

James

If it's a steel I-beam, I'd just buy a length of 1/4 inch angle iron and tack weld it every foot or so to the edge of the lower part of the I-beam, creating a lip to keep the hangar from falling off. Another option, if the I-beam can afford to have a few holes drilled in it is to use large eye bolts as your hanger for the horizontal rod.

Respectfully,

James

Some good ideas James, thanks.

you could also use some jb-weld to adhere something like thread rod to the flange to create a lip for the hangers... just like welding, but for those without the resource of a welder...

You could put a large diameter (closet rod) through a set of c-clamps on the beam.

A hanger bar with holes drilled in it, with rope and hooks that are put on each side of the bottom flange. The weight of the load pulls them down thus together, locking it to the beam....

lots of options......

I found these available also. but not sure how to get a rod attached to hang from these:

Attachments

• 51aH1jBlDlL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51aH1jBlDlL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 101
I found these available also. but not sure how to get a rod attached to hang from these:

maybe something like rope...

snap shackle and a big SS ring?

I don't have access to a computer to look it up, but look up beam clamps. They are made to receive threaded rod to hang pipes, etc. Threaded rod is vertical to a hanger which can support a horizontal pipe. Done all the time to hang pipe and conduit for electrical, fire sprinkler, etc.

I don't have access to a computer to look it up, but look up beam clamps. They are made to receive threaded rod to hang pipes, etc. Threaded rod is vertical to a hanger which can support a horizontal pipe. Done all the time to hang pipe and conduit for electrical, fire sprinkler, etc.

This ⬆️
They are called top beam clamps the 3/8 will probable do, about $3.50-4 each, You then will need all thread rod and a hanger for whatever size pipe you want to use. As stated above used to hang electrical conduit and sprinkler pipes. I would bet EMT conduit is cheaper than sprinkler pipe but not black or threaded is you need more than 8ft length. They have compression fittings for the conduit. Any electrical supply house, plumbing supply house should have what you need. Home Depot or Lowe’s will have everything but hangers are a maybe.

https://www.amazon.com/THOMAS-BETTS...ocphy=9025151&hvtargid=pla-348623096773&psc=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom