Base for Andaman coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phillthy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

I searched through the threads and there's plenty of information on this topic but I can't nail down a location.

I'm in Thailand for three weeks from the 23/07/18-13/08/18, a week of which I'm planning to spend diving.

I've been to Thailand before and spent a week diving on Koh Tao which I actually enjoyed, especially trips to Sail rock and Chumphon pinnacle.

Having looked through the info on here, It seems to be that the Andaman coast pips the gulf in terms of quality, even though I know areas will be closed whilst I'm there.

Is it still worth the trip? Are the closed areas the best dive spots? Would I be better heading back to Koh Tao and getting some Sail Rock/ Chumphon pinnacle dives in again for the chance of seeing something special?

If it is still worth going to the Andaman over Koh Tao, where should I be based for the best diving at that time of year?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

It's still monsoon season on the Andaman side in late July and early August. At least for Koh Lanta, services may be closed and boats may not go out due to rough weather.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I know it's not the best time of year to head there but if the diving is better than in the gulf I'm willing to take the chance.

Steve, with regards to the sites you have mentioned, where would be the most ideal spot to stay in Phuket? Was originally looking around the Patong area but I'll be honest, I don't know where that is in relation to the dive sites you've mentioned.

Cheers.

Boats depart from Chalong, closest to that (and IMO nicest town, which is why my shop is there) is Kata. But DCs will pickup foc from Chalong, Kata, Karon and Patong, many also from Kamala , Nai Harn and rawai.

I'll look into those Steve, thanks.
Does your shop have a website I could check out? I'll take a look at the locations you have suggested but I'll still need to nail down who to dive with, I'm travelling solo btw.

Agree completely with the general consensus here. Diving in the Gulf of Thailand when at it's best can only be described as second rate.
The three recognised areas in the Gulf, Koh Chang, Pattaya / Sammae San & Koh Tao, all have at least one reasonable dive site, but none of these locations in my mind would justify a dive specific holiday.

Back
Top Bottom