Barrel distortion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTC'83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can barrel distortion be corrected on a Mac? The software recommended on the manual ShiftN, is only for Windows.

Lightroom can easily correct this - though now that it is subscription only its a bit costly.

Luminar is available for Mac and it has a lens distortion tool (slider) that works. The big problem is that it is generic, and is not a specific profile for a specific lens, you just adjust the slider and rely entirely on the TLAR* method to correct the distortion.

I also don't know off the top of my head if they have the RAW decoder for your camera model, and that could be an issue no matter what software you use.

*TLAR = That Looks About Right

You can't beat GIMP on the price, and it runs on both kinds of computers: Intel and AMD. :D

Colour correction dialog's easy enough and that's what I use 99% of the time with my DC1400, so that's good enough for me. But you can find all sorts of clever filters etc.

vivid-pix will do it. There is a mac, pc, and if my eyes don't deceive me it looks like they may have some kind of IOS app now.

LAND & SEA SCUBA | Fast, Easy photo editing software

It's not the be-all and end-all, but it's easy and quick. I usually clean up my dive photos with vivid pix then go at them with photoshop if I don't like the results.

vivid-pix will do it. There is a mac, pc, and if my eyes don't deceive me it looks like they may have some kind of IOS app now.

LAND & SEA SCUBA | Fast, Easy photo editing software

It's not the be-all and end-all, but it's easy and quick. I usually clean up my dive photos with vivid pix then go at them with photoshop if I don't like the results.
I watched a couple of the videos on the Vivid-Pix website and did not see barrel (or lens) distortion mentioned. Do they have a way to perform this correction?

I watched a couple of the videos on the Vivid-Pix website and did not see barrel (or lens) distortion mentioned. Do they have a way to perform this correction?
It's not a slider like you'd hope to see, but a checkbox. That kind of fits with the theme of the product as a whole in my opinion. If the quick automated changes work for your shot, great - it was easy. If not, you spend more time in some more capable software.
upload_2018-8-10_11-37-9.png

It's not a slider like you'd hope to see, but a checkbox. That kind of fits with the theme of the product as a whole in my opinion. If the quick automated changes work for your shot, great - it was easy. If not, you spend more time in some more capable software.
View attachment 473802
Thanks. I missed that check box.

Back
Top Bottom