Barracuda Hotel inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a 14 day CZM trip coming up in May, but there was a SNAFU with our hotel reservations; as a result, we will likely need to find other accommodations for the first 4 days we will be there. One of our party has made reservations for us at the Barracuda, but I really don't know much about the place.

One consideration is that my 91 years young mom will be with us. She has had surgery recently and stairs are not her friend, so a first floor room or elevator is a necessary requirement.

Whaddya think?

I think it is pretty dumpy and noisy when the cruise ship employees gather. I would go with Casa Mexicana. Escalator to get up from the street. Elevator, breakfast included and nice lounge chairs around the small pool. Short walk to all the great restaurants

I would not recommend Barracuda for you. Maybe Casa del Mar would be a better option for those first four days or Casa Mexicana.

I used to stay at the Barracuda, never had a problem, but became annoyed by the bar activity. Stayed at couple of other comparatively priced places since. Next up for me is back to the Barracuda because of the built in beach and access to the Mega and town. I'll just book a room farther from the bar. Rooms are large and clean and each one has a lanai with an ocean view. If you need something pretentious or fancy it is probably best to look elsewhere.

Gordon, If you do not want to stay downtown (Casa Mexicana) another place you might consider is the Hotel Cozumel. There is an elevator and rooms close to the lobby. There are ramps to most areas and plenty of places to sit around the pool. You would have to check to see if Blue Angel would pick you up at the Hotel Cozumel dock. Getting your mother to the waterfront restaurant there may be a problem though so you might want to avoid the meal plan.

I've stayed at Casa del Mar many times but it's been awhile. She'd want a ground floor room, but my recollection is that there are about 5 steps to go up (or down) from the lobby to the ground floor. Though not Casa del Mar or Blue Angel accommodations, right next door to Casa del Mar (between CDM and Park Royal) is Village Tan Kah. No tvs in the rooms, but no steps either, with the exception of the curb.

Casa Mex has been having ongoing escalator issues for what seems like years. Usually a guy there to run the working side up and down, but I still have to walk up/down manually a couple times a day. And non work escalator stairs are worse than and normal flight of stairs.

I've stayed at both BA and the Cuda. I enjoy both, but it depends who I'm with. The Cuda is great for a "guys" vacation, but I wouldn't take my 91 year old grandma there. There are only a couple of rooms on the ground floor, after that it's the stairs.

As much as the Barracuda works great for me, I wouldn't recommend it for your mother either. Even if you were able to get one of the first floor rooms, it is usually pretty busy during the day with cruise ship crew members as was mentioned. The music can be pretty loud so it's not always very relaxing, although it is entertaining to watch them having fun in the pool. Last time, they even brought out a bubble machine and covered the pool & surrounding area with bubbles or foam. If you're out diving, it doesn't really matter as the day visitors are gone by the time you get back from an afternoon dive.

I think of the Barracuda as a cheap place to stay for the young and/or budget conscious. I would not take my 91 year old mother there. I would not stay there. The guy across the street from me has a very nice, large, multi-bedroom and bathroom bungalow that he rents out. It has a heated pool and it is perfectly maintained (he runs a property management company). It's a couple of blocks east of the Barracuda on Ave. 15 so not particularly convenient for diving unless you get picked up in town or rent a car to go to caleta, but it would be close to your other party. Let me know if you'd like his contact info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom