Barkley Sound in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

It sucks not being able to travel to dive right now but I am excited to be relocating to Vancouver for work in a month's time and hopefully being able to take advantage of more local diving options. I am NOT a cold water diver, but maybe that will change.

I need to get my dry suit cert first thing but see that a local dive shop has a trip scheduled to Barkley Sound for the end of August (assuming COVID doesn't stop that). I have heard that this is a great place and that in summer you can sometimes even see the six gill sharks - but don't know anyone that has gone diving there. Any feedback? How is the diving comparatively with respect to underwater sights/experiences and overall conditions? Anyone ever stayed at and dived with the Rendezvous Lodge? Thanks!

Congrats on your relocation to Canada and upcoming introduction to cold water diving! There are so many great diving locations near Vancouver and especially on Vancouver Island. You have some really great experiences in your future.

Rendezvous Lodge in Barkley Sound is a great location with some amazing diving. I've only been there once back in 2005 or so, but many friends have gone recently had a good time. I WAS going to go again back in April but that has been postponed until at least next year. I'm not so sure about the Sixgills, I think it's been a while since they were regular visitors.

You'll find more amazing options in Victoria, Nanaimo, Hornby Island, Pt McNeil, and Pt Hardy @ God's Pocket. I cast my vote for God's Pocket as the best diving in the world.

Welcome and Enjoy!

I go twice a year minimum..

Great diving, great hosts and great times.

Send me a DM if you need more info

_R

Great diving in Barkley Sound. Lots of different sites to dive, and lots of critters to see and experience. Never saw a six gill when I was there, but they have been seen by other divers in the various groups. Rendezvous Lodge is a great place to stay. Peter and Kathy run a great operation. Nice dive right off the dock - last time I was there a big octopus and den were below the dock. After hours they had kayaks you could use, and spend some time paddling the shorelines and bays. Always managed to see a black bear or two.

If you go to Barkley Sound, and stay at Rendezvous, you will not be disappointed !!

Divegoose

+1. RL is a great place, just remember they are cylinders not tanks :). No 6 gills for me either.

For a day trip, I recommend Sea Dragon charters out of Horseshoe Bay. I'd love to dive that Annapolis with them when the border reopens.

Rendezvous is basic and clean. Diving is 1 hour per dive and you are dropped on established sites with hard bottoms. It’s a rustic lodge and rustic basic food. Boat has to be dry inside. I prefer a wet boat or at least access to a toilet without climbing entirely out of my suit.

I spent 3 days diving with Rendezvous when I visited Vancouver island in August 2017. Peter and Kathy were wonderful hosts, the food was amazing, the rooms comfortable and clean and the scenery stunning! Diving was excellent - so much to see! At the time Peter hadn't seen a sixgill that year and I think he'd only seen one or two in the previous 3-4 years - it sounds like sightings where more common pre-2010 and have been becoming more sparse since then. There were strong thermoclines at around 5-10 m above which visibility was very poor (maybe 1 m) but below which we had a very nice clear ~10-15 m. Water was cold (~10 degrees) and on a couple of sights we had strong surface currents (although at depth the current was manageable). Peter was a great guide and we saw all the 'classic' pacific north-west animals. We did two dives on the boat each day (with lunch on the boat between dives) and had the option to shore dive on return to the lodge if we wanted. I did this one one day and the other took out one of Peter/Kathy's kayaks to explore the inlet that the lodge is located in - this ended up with a close encounter with a humpback!

I'm also looking to relocate to Vancouver in the new year (provided COVID restrictions are lifted by then and my partner can also get a permit to work) and this is one of the places i'm excited to revisit!

Back
Top Bottom