Barge beached in Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer:
Sipadan is not ruined and deserves the continued presence of the international diving community, if only to keep the authorities honest and accountable for their actions.
Keep???

is that a light I see at the end of a tunnel?

DAILY EXPRESS NEWS
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Diver who exposed damage fears reef is gone forever
Kota Kinabalu: Andrea Ferrari, who alerted the diving world to the damage to Sipadan's corals, is pleased by the effect his blog has had. But he is saddened that the reef may never recover.

Italians Andrea and Anthonella Ferrari, a renowned underwater photography and writing team who have published several books on the area, reported on their blog on a Singapore-based dive magazine's website that a barge carrying tonnes of construction materials was beached on the island two weekends ago.

By last Monday, the steel hull had scraped clean part of the coral reef near the island's drop-off point, dismaying the international diving community and leading to an official enquiry.

What saddens Andrea Ferrari though, is that he believes the reef may never recover.

"The damage is very serious. Small coral take about 30 years to grow back and reefs, much, much longer. That reef is probably lost forever," he said.

Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister and Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Chong Kah Kiat said the barge was carrying materials to build a tourist facility.

Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman denied approving the project and ordered a halt to all construction on the island. He has also ordered an official enquiry.

"We support the State Government's decision to halt all construction on the island. And if anything is to be built in the future, then let it be small, simple structures of environment-friendly materials like wood," Ferrari said.

However, he said, closing the island to divers may not be in the island's best interests.

"Dive operators and avid divers can be Sipadan's best partners in safeguarding its reef.

"We can work with the Government to protect the island's environment," he said.

Zippsy:

something akin to 'vermins scurry when the lights are turned on' kinda thing ?

or, the PC version 'to enhance the spirit of transparency and accountability, the relevant authorities would very much welcome s.c.u.b.a. diving enthusiasts making regular and frequent visits to experience first hand the caring and heart-felt response to the cry for action'

I'm going to Kapalai in September as part of my honeymoon. Has anyone actually seen the damage first hand and should we plan an alternative destination?

tr85858:
I'm going to Kapalai in September as part of my honeymoon. Has anyone actually seen the damage first hand and should we plan an alternative destination?
By all accounts, the underwater damage is in a limited area, only about 4,000 square feet. This would be in a section of reef that you would not normally be diving around anyway but you may have been snorkeling over during a surface interval. I would not cancel a holiday based solely on that damage.

On the other hand, I won't be going there anymore if they have bulldozers and cranes on the island building "restaurants / clubhouse, a scuba shop, toilet facilities and living quarters". I also won't be going there if those things are built. Kapalai has it's own diving but nearby Sipadan is the real draw. If the construction goes ahead, I'd be looking at other places in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines.

ok for you divers that have been montering this and talking about it heres your chance to do something about it. i fellow diver has given me the website with an email to the country prime minister. He feels as well as me that if enough of the international community of divers voice there concerns over what happen that something positive might actually happen. well here the link to the website and other board.

http://malaysiadivingcommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1408&st=0&#entry21813

please be patient some of the site in malaysia are slow are do not load up all the time. so if it doesn't load try again latter. special the goverment sites.

peace troy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom