Bare XCD2 Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarryWhisman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
You guys are a riot. With all the great advise I've recieved here recently on how to wear my mask and snorkle as well as how I need to be ready to straighten out those no good bum DIR guys, I know this is the place to get the final analysis on what's best for me in a dry suit. I'm in the middle of deciding and I've taken in so much information from dealers, instructors and this forum that I'm getting to the point where my brain is about to explode.:losecool:

I live in Jacksonville Oregon and have been learning in the lakes and rivers locally and intend to start spending time on the Oregon coast as well as the Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands just as soon as I get outfitted. There are no dive shops anywhere near here where I can try on different dry suits.

I can get what seems like a great deal on a Bare XCD2 Tech at Scuba Toys for $1250.00 plus I just recieved an email from divetank.com giving me a coupon for $20 off that price plus they would throw in a "Deluxe Fleece/Undergarment & Warm Dry Glove System". Larry at Scuba Toys suggests the T100 Polarwear and I know he will match Divetank.

My LDS guy says the 2 mil suit will require more underwear and therefor be more bouyant than what I might want although he does acknowledge it would be more versital. His suggestion is I get a Whites 25th anniversary 4 mil custom fit for around $1,700 which is what he and my instructor wear. The Whites comes with a free dry suit course.

Chances are the Bare suit will have to be custom fit as well for another $200 or so. Larry has one on the way and I'll know in a few days. The course would be nice but I'm not too concerned as I have several friends who dive dry who have offered to hold my hand when the time comes. Lots of places around here to practice.

I believe it's best to deal with the LDS if one can but that Bare sounds pretty good.

What would you do??

By the way-I have a really big truck and I'm hoping someday it will go a long way in qualifying me to be a cool DIR guy.:14:

I'd go with what my heart tells me. After trying several brands and models, I opted for the Bare XCD2 Tech Dry. Gosh, do I love that suit! It's heavier and takes longer to dry than other models, but that is not a concern to me. The suit is very rugged and the material tough. They're VERY popular here with NJ wreck divers. In my opinion, Bare makes a high quality product, and you'll be very happy with it.

The deals from Dive Tank and Scubatoys are both VERY sweet and I doubt you can go wrong choosing either one. Good luck and have fun. Let us know how your dives go.

I just ordered the XCD2 Tech from Divetank. They had one that had been special ordered and the deal fell through with the guy who ordered it. It has the pockets and suspenders, and they are having the neck seal upgraded to latex, as well as the dry glove system installed. I'm getting a very nice deal on the suit overall, and since they are only about 2.5 hours away, I'm very comfortable with dealing with Divetank if I ever need service.

One of my friends bought a rear entry Bare suit through Divetank. He was very impressed with their service, and loves the suit. I bought a Bare wetsuit for my wife, and it is just a thing of beauty - nicely constructed and very attractive (suit and wife, both.)

Overall, I'm not sure if there should be that much difference in inherent bouyancy between the two suits. The neoprene is crushed anyway, so there aren't any gas bubbles to contend with. The difference in warmth will be based on 2mm of essentially solid rubber - I doubt if you'll feel much difference there, but then I really can't speak at all from experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom