Bare vs Whites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
Time has come for the decision but I cannot decide between 2 suits that I like. Both have very desirable features and a few I would like changed, booth suit my needs and would be suitable....but I cannot decide.

I am trying to decide between the Bare XCD2 PRO and the Whites Aqua PRO BE or SE
Now I realize one is a 2mm neoprene while the other is a shell, but the way I figure the buoyancy characteristics should be very similar based on the material and required underwear for both. Shell might be a bit more flexible but the neoprene has a bit less drag. The neoprene might have a bit more thermal value but the shell is a quicker dry and lighter. In price, they are pretty much at par with another based on the same features (latex seals, suspenders, rock boots/soft sock combo)

So the hair pulling continues....:06: On the other hand, depending on whom I speak with, some claim that the customer service and quality of the suits are either bad or good always pointing the finger at one another.

So let's hear from those of you that have recent hands on experience please, either with the recent Bare or the Whites or better yet both - in quality, level or customer service and overall satisfaction.

ps. please do not try to sell me on another suit, it was hard enough already trying to narrow the field down to these 2 based on local dealer support and price. BUT if someone in the GTA (and there abouts) has some super deals on these suits, please feel free to drop me a PM and we can discuss.

I have owned several Whites suits. The quality of my catalyst is quite good. They need to hire a couple more repair personnel as service can be rather slow. And I live on the same Island as the factory.

I also own the catalyst which is the top of the line suit and I got about 150 dives with the suit so far. I got the wrist and neck seal change last 2 months ago and the services was quick 2 1/2 weeks and they did a great job (I was told that they did hire two more repairman in the maintenance section). Aqua pro is also a good suit but IMO it doesn't come close to the catalyst, of course the aqua pro is a lot cheaper.

I've used both companies and they both produce good products. I dove a Whites for about eight years. (I can't remember exactly how long) The suit is still in great shape and works well but doesn't fit as well as it could.

The Bare is a fairly recent purchase. I've had it for around six months. It is a HD trilam with front entry. The suit is also very good and I'd have no problem recommending it.

On the service side, Whites was adaquate when I purchased the suit but put the wrong boots on the suit a couple of times and then lost my suit. They did provide me with a free higher quality replacement after about a month though. When I called them for repair work on the suit, they were not as accomodating as I would have hoped and the repair time was too long.

Bare on the other hand was great to deal with. The factory wasn't all that helpful but the dealer "Divetank" was great. They provided fast service and I can't say enough about them.

I think it comes down to the actual seller more than the producer of the suit.

I think both companies provide a great product but the dealer will make the major differrence in terms of service and turn around times. Just my expereince.

I have owned both Whites and BAre. I loved my whites suit, one of the best ever until I sent it in for service (I think I posted about it) amd the butchered it. They decieded not to charge me for my inconvience, when they should have replaced my suit. Anyway I moved on to a Bare and it was great. I wore that one out and am now on a DUI. Guess what, my next suit is going to be another Bare. I think the Bare is as durable if not more durable than my TLS 350.

Dennis

Just bought the Bare xcd2 pro dry and really like it. Got a great deal from Dans Dive Shop in St Catherines, ont (less than $1000 CDN)

Pros:
Vulcanized boots are really good fit and durable (keeper on the heel). I wear a pair of heavy wool socks with a light sport sock under: feet nice and warm.

Weight: about 30 pounds total with insulation to 45 degrees or less, no ankle weights. About 2.5 pounds more than if I wear my wet suit (7mm)

Fit: very good, a large right off the rack, latex wrist seals and neo neck (no leaks) Good quality BDM zipper

Made in Canada, Fitzwright company. They make all the ocean class survival suits.

Valves work very well and it is easy to add air and release. chest inflation valve has inner flap for prtection and Zipper has protection flap inside as well.

Pocket on the left thigh is a great bonus.

Company respose to e-mail questions was very fast.

Cons:

Takes a bit longer to dry: get broad hanger to allow good air flow.

Inflator hose it came with was cheap (plastic release clip) put in dive bag as a spare and used another Stainless tipped hose.

Thats about it. The knee pads are really durable and it came with zipper wax, the hose, manual (not bad) some talc for the latex seals and a bumper sticker.

so far a very easy suit to dive

Well this really sucks.....did some more looking around and stumbled across a third and fourth option that might be worth considering. The Northern Diver CNX2-RI (2.5 mm hyper-compressed) and the Vortex shell suit.....will this madness ever end?!

Any comments/news/experience with these? How would these compare to my original selections?

I had a Northern Diver CNX2-RI. Was a very nice suit. My only complaints were that the boots didn't fit me and the wrist seal covers didn't let me put drygloves on. I got it for about $800. IMO it's probably the toughtest and highest quality suit you will find for that price. Right now it's $658 from Sportextreme.com (which is where I got mine).

I dive a XCD2 from Bare. I think it's the best suit that I've owned. I sent it back into Bare to have the neck seal changed from neoprene to latex, and expected it to take a minimum of two or three weeks. I had it back in a week. The only thing that I would do different with it if I was ordering another one is to have a bellows pocket installed on the right thigh, and suspenders (both of which I have sence installed on my own). I have the soft boots on it, which is a first for me and I really like them. The Whites suits I haven't had any expierence with, but all of the people that I know that have Whites suit say the same thing, they won't be getting another Whites suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom