Bare Velocity Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MightyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
We tried out our new Bare Velocity 3/2 wetsuits with Hydrostretch last evening and I thought I'd give a review.

We ordered the Bare brand since they offer a TALL version in various sizes for men and women to fit those of athletic and slim builds. MightyScuba has the MedTall in the blue/slate/black and I got the 5/6 in royal/grey/black. I had no idea they offer so many different color choices for the Velocity wetsuit! Usually just the orange version is shown.

First off, the Hydrostretch is similar to Henderson's Hyperstretch BUT in the Bare wetsuit it is only placed in strategic places where most needed. Therefore, it is definitely not as easy as a Henderson Hyperstretch to put on. One other item is that the Bare zipper only goes partway down the back - much shorter than our other wetsuits (Scubapro, Henderson, Xcel) so that added to the difficulty of donning the suit.

The fit and feel is very nice. It feels waaaaay thinner than my other 3mm wetsuits and fit me better without any of the painful, pinching, chafing seams or too tight and too loose areas i get with other makers. MightyScuba's Med Tall also fit him better than any other suit he's tried. This is the first wetsuit that hasn't been too short in the torso for him and it looked great on him.:eek:ut:

The water temp varied between 71-80F and we had a nice long dive. Okay, I did but MightyScuba got cold in his Velocity. In about the same time as his other wetsuit so no real difference warmth wise for him. I was extremely comfortable and though I didn't want to stay at 48' where the thermocline hit I was warm everywhere else. I felt as if this wetsuit did not take on water while swimming. My Henderson Hyperstretch (which I DO like!) usually feels like a sponge and absorbs like crazy. Even when I got out of the water i didn't have water pouring out of the arm or leg holes like my other wetsuits. It was amazing! And I didn't get cold on land since I didn't have a really "wet" suit on during packing up.

Overall, these Bare wetsuits are the most comfortable IF you don't mind the bit of struggle dressing. They also offer a 4/3mm with the Hydrostretch called the Force Steamer but I haven't found anyone yet that carries it near me. We'll be keeping our eyes open for a 7mm with Hydrostretch from Bare!:)

Here's their website: http://www.bare-wetsuits.com

Originally posted by MightyDiver
We tried out our new Bare Velocity 3/2 wetsuits with Hydrostretch last evening and I thought I'd give a review.

The water temp varied between 71-80F and we had a nice long dive. Okay, I did but MightyScuba got cold in his Velocity. In about the same time as his other wetsuit so no real difference warmth wise for him. I was extremely comfortable and though I didn't want to stay at 48' where the thermocline hit I was warm everywhere else. I felt as if this wetsuit did not take on water while swimming. My Henderson Hyperstretch (which I DO like!) usually feels like a sponge and absorbs like crazy. Even when I got out of the water i didn't have water pouring out of the arm or leg holes like my other wetsuits. It was amazing! And I didn't get cold on land since I didn't have a really "wet" suit on during packing up.
[/url]

So how would you compare your Henderson Hyperstretch to your Bare and why did you get the Bare when you already liked the Henderson that you had?

dictated by MightyDiver:

The hyperstretch is easier to put on but it does seem to absorb much more water than the Bare Velocity. The longer zipper on the Hyperstretch also helps donning and doffing.

I purchased the Bare to try something new and because one can never have too many wetsuits!

Besides the Bare and Henderson, I also have tried Scubapro and Xcel.

I purchased Bare Velocity 2/3 one month ago. I done about 30 dives with it in water from 26 to 28 Celsius. All the other divers had Mares Tropic 3mm and they where all freezing in it from dive one. I started to feel discomfort only in the 3rd dive on 26 Celsius water. So overall I'm extremely happy. I wanted originally to purchase the Mares but they didn't had my size so I purchased the Bare...really good luck in this.

As overall (Mark 1 to 5 where 5 is best):
- Price: 4
Mares about 119 EUR, Bare about 132 EUR (in Finland)
- Feels: 5
After you managed to put it on you feel naked
- Take on/off: 3
Zipper in the back is really short so quite difficult to put it on and off
- Protection: 5
Can easy handle 26 degrees water. For one or two dives is looking that you can go in 24 degrees water too. Really good isolation even that the stitching is not sailed as it is in Mares Tropic 3. Actually I had two dives in Cenotes in Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and the water was 24....and it was ok...but on the end of second dive was a little bit uncomfortable.

Note: The lock from the neck is like a glue...is caching everything around....clothes, wetsuit inside....:)

Stronlgy recomanded.

Last edited:
Where did you find the info on a bare 4/3mm? I didn't see it on the web site.
Edit never mind
Sorry I didn't see that this was such a old post.

Last edited:
Just bought the bare 3/2 for my trip to Bonaire. This was the 6th time and first time with a wetsuit. Always dove with a lycra skin before. Don't know how I did it. Very comfortable and found it "easy" to get on and off. Not skin lycra easy but easy enough I didn't dread doing it. Coldest water temp on bonaire with computer reading 78 mostly for dives.

I had a Bare 5/4 Velocity Progressive stretch, which I imagine is similar to the Hydrostretch, in that the 'stretchier' material is mainly in the torso, and the arms/legs are "progressively" less stretchy, as well as a slightly lesser thickness.

I came to *not* like this configuration.

While the multiple sizes to choose from, 'off the rack,' are convenient, I still found the Bare difficult to don/doff, and usually needed help with the zipper (which I ultimately tore up, trying to get it done myself). Of course, this was a 5/4, not a 3/2, and expected to be tougher to deal with. However, I replaced the Bare with a Henderson Hyperstretch, and love it. Couldn't be easier to get in and out of. I sized it snug, however, once you're submerged, and a let a little water into the suit, it's perfect. My only complaint is the pilling. The material catches easily on fabrics such as velcro, and pulls a bit. However, I understand the new Henderson H2 Hyperstretch fixes this.

Anyway, I know there are loyal fans of Bare out there... however, in the thicker models, 5/4, and up, where you need the mobility and stretch, I'd steer clear, and either check out the H2, or Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene.

I did have assistence putting it on. the velcro on the top back is easy to get caught on the suit and having someone around to de-tangle was necessary. I do have a "bad" right shoulder from too much tennis, so its not easy for me in anything but most ideal situations. having said all this I am very happy with the 3/2 bare. Maybe if I needed more warmth I'd look at something else.

Hello,

We posted a video review of the Bare Velocity Wetsuit a couple a months back. Here's the link. BARE Velocity Wetsuit

What makes the BARE 3/2 Velocity Series of wetsuits special is the combination of three material types, each with their own stretch characteristics. This unique combo is called Progressive Stretch. Together, they probably make for the most comfortable, best-fitting suit Bare has ever engineered.

BARE 3/2 Velocity features:

• Adjustable GLIDESEAL collar.
  • 3mm torso with 2mm arms and lower legs.
  • LUMBARE-X-TENDER panel in lower back.
  • PROGRESSIVE STRETCH TECHNOLOGY.
  • GLIDESEAL arm and leg gaskets.
  • DURASHIN: Protection with flexible comfort.
  • Side ankle zipper with gusset.
  • 100% flat seamed throughout.

Back
Top Bottom