BARE Shell Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking at new old stock drysuits. I can get a 2007 Nex-Gen for $649. How do these differ from the Bare Tri-lam HD Tech, aside from back vs. front zipper?

Quite different. I have a Bare NexGen, a Bare HD Pro and a Bare HD Tech. The NexGen is a fine suite and if it fits you, is light, easy to get into and out and is a full service suit. Its bilam material is more vulnerable to punctures and abrasion than the heavier fabric HD suits but it is generally a fine suit. The two HD suits are much tougher in the fabric. Very heavy duty fabric. I have not seen better in a shell suit. The HD Pro is shoulder entry just like the NexGen and has the same fit. Its fabric is easier to have pockets or pee zipper gaskets glued to it but this is minor issue. The HD Tech is the same very heavy duty fabric but is cut for the front entry cross chest zipper. Because it has the elastic ATR flexibility needed for front entry, and an inner neoprene panel, and a looser cut for the front entry, it is much more fabric to lug around and feels like more to wear. Also, you have to be more careful to make sure it has enough ease in the fit or you will have trouble getting your right shoulder in through the front entry. I think it is a trickier suit to fit and heavier to carry around and don. Try these suits out if you can.

Back
Top Bottom