Bare OR Hollis Undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YahiaAhmed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for good undergarments (Top & Buttom) to use in tropical waters & semi cold water (75F - 55F).

I've looked around on the internet, but I couldn't find much information and reviews, so I came here to take your opinion.

After about an hour of searching, I ended up with the following:

For base layer:
Bare ULTRAWARMTH BASE LAYER TOP & Hollis Base layer

Mid Layer:
Hollis AUG 260/450 & Bare SB MID LAYER TOP

I am not really sure what to go with, since both brands looks very similar in both quality and price, but I can't take the decision, so I came here to ask you guys from your experience, what should I go with? Hollis or Bare? I know they both owned by Huish Outdoors, but still I don't know what to pick.

I myself Hollis addict, and I love Hollis products since all my gear back and sidemount are Hollis, but I don't really care to buy hollis undergarments unless its worth it.

By the way, I have Hollis DX 300X drysuit, so I am looking to buy undergarment that would fit comfortably with it.

please let me know your thoughts, and opinions, and if you have suggestions of other brands as well, feel free to share.

Thanks!

I think I would be sweating my butt off in a baselayer and one of those mid layers in 70F water. That combo would be something I would wear in 45-50F water. But each person has their own thermostat.

You’ll almost certainly want the the Hollis 260 at those temps. I’ve work the 450 in 40-50 degree water 90 min Tec dives and been toasty warm. It was hard not to pass out in the SC sun getting dressed.

There’s not much stretch to the Hollis mid layer garments so don’t order small thinking they’ll just be a snug fit. Order your true size or slightly bigger. Haven’t tried Bare.

Sam

I love bare undergarments. If you run cold they'll be great but at 70 degrees id think you'd be sweating. 55 to 70 is a huge range.

I use the AUG 450 Hollis with heavy wool base, may have used it up to 62/63°f but mostly for water below 55°f with the 260 being on sale I would go that way, I am about to order some myself.

I use the Bare UW baselayer in combination with the Bare SB Mid Layer at the moment in Dutch waters, around 41 F. My dives currently are around 30 - 45 minutes and it's still comfortable and warm. In the summer, temperature around here is 65 - 70. Then I only use the Base layer.
Must be said I have the Bare Sentry drysuit (Neoprene).

Have you looked at Fourth Element? I've used Bare, Hollis, Weezle, and Fourth Element undergarments. The Fourth Element products are my favorite for drysuit undergarments. Incredibly well made, top quality materials, and machine washable.

I dive the Bare SB Midlayer in mid 50's water here in So Cal and they keep me quite warm, even when wet :).

How do you all clean/wash your Bare UW? The Hollis says machine washable, but can you do that with this infrared stuff?

Been diving with Bare undergarments. Love the fit and the quality. Handwash or gentle cycle with Woolite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom