Bare Nixie Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I already own a Bare Nixie 3/2 full and love it. But on my last dive trip I was getting cold at 82 degrees with all the diving I was doing. I temporarily used a 5mm (other brand) to finish my rescue course and loved it. I didn't have to worry about getting cold or hot. So decided to get the very same Bare Nixie wetsuit in 5mm.

Well, as companies do, they have changed their style and they no longer sell the same Bare Nixie. They have replaced it with the Bare Nixie Ultra. (I spent 15 minutes on the phone with someone from Bare Canada to confirm)

I had ordered one prior to speaking with the company, but I left it at the store (even after trying 2 larger sizes on). Here's why

The arms of the ultra are even tighter than the original Nixie which was already pretty tight. Unless you have arms that are toothpicks, you won't be able to get your arms in.

Maybe it's because I couldn't fully get my arms in but the Ultra felt tighter across the shoulders than the Nixie.

There are zippers everywhere - neck, wrists, ankles. This in itself wouldn't be a bad thing but to reinforce, they have included a ton of extra fabric inside the suit which makes it uncomfortable.
  • The zippers on the wrists didn't help to get my arms in the suit.
  • The fabric in the legs to support the zipper felt (and looked) like I had rolled up socks inside the suit.
  • And the zipper at the neck felt restrictive.

Plus, they changed the color of the "black" which is no longer black with purple stitching, it's black with blue/green stitching :(.

So, I will not be buying the 5mm Nixie Ultra. Sometimes, "innovation" isn't such a good thing.
bare_7mm_nixie_ultra_women_s_full-8.png

bare_5mm_nixie_ultra_women_s_full-8.png

bare_5mm_nixie_ultra_women_s_full-3.jpg

I agree the old simple style of the Nixie was awesome. I absolutely love the Evoke though, and it has zippers all over too, so when I hopped in the new Nixie Ultra, I honestly really didn't notice the zippers being obtrusive. I do like having a zipper at the neck so you can easily release the pull on the neck when you're sitting down on the edge of a little dive boat without having to half-doff the suit. I like the wind and sun protection of keeping the suit donned, but can't stand the pull on my neck. I do most of my dives in a drysuit though, so I'm always quite happy in the luxury of ANY wetsuit! Haha!

I loved the previous color of the Nixie in pink (or whatever they called it), and the color blocks were very flattering for most figures. The new ones are boring. I have the "black" Nixie Ultra with teal stitching.

I guess my overall opinion is I still like the new Nixie Ultra. :)

Aren't wrist zippers uncomfortable if a gal is wearing her PDCs on wrist? The PDCs can be a bit uncomfortable on their own

Try the Evoke. Unless they have redesigned them too.

Try the Evoke. Unless they have redesigned them too.
Can't. I prefer black wet suits and this is black and yellow but yellow is my sister's colour :wink:

Color would be my least concern, but I guess some people put more value on color choices! Haha!

I wear my PDC on my forearm (probably a drysuit habit), so I don't find the zippers get in the way.

@KatieMac You're in Ontario? Aren't you used to drysuit diving? These little things shouldn't bother you much after lots of drysuit diving.

Color would be my least concern, but I guess some people put more value on color choices! Haha!

@KatieMac You're in Ontario? Aren't you used to drysuit diving? These little things shouldn't bother you much after lots of drysuit diving.

Re color, we dive together all the time so it helps the dive shop not mix our stuff up.

As for dry suit diving ... never. All my diving has been at 79F or above. Last year doing rescue, I was 5 hours in 82F water with my 3/2mm and got cold. Diving in Canada is not high on my bucket list.

Re color, we dive together all the time so it helps the dive shop not mix our stuff up.

As for dry suit diving ... never. All my diving has been at 79F or above. Last year doing rescue, I was 5 hours in 82F water with my 3/2mm and got cold. Diving in Canada is not high on my bucket list.

Ok the color thing makes sense then.

You're missing out! Jacques Cousteau listed the Port Hardy area of BC as one of his top three diving sites in the world! There is some really amazing diving in Canada. I'm land locked though, and dive in the lakes a lot (not very exciting), but I consider this practice for "real" diving. Gotta keep up on skills. :)

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and deciding on a new wetsuit. I own the bare evoke in a 3mm and absolutely love it. I need to get a 5mm for colder water, but I am not sure if I should stick with the evoke (which is more expensive) or get the nixie. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with these two suits and their key differences?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom