Bare hooded 7mm Alpine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone is interested here is a picture of the new Bare 7mm hooded Alpine. Notice the new style zipper that no longer goes across the chest. I think he said this is the replacement for the hooded Arctic full suit.

I have not dove it yet and will probably do so next weekend. I have no idea for the design change as i have never used a hooded arctic but have seen plenty of them out there. My only concern is that when you turn your head its gonna gush water in as the zipper and seal area pulls away from your your face leaving a direct path of water down the neck of your suit.......brrrrrrrrrrr :D

wetsuit1.jpg

wetsuit.jpg

lal7176:
If anyone is interested here is a picture of the new Bare 7mm hooded Alpine. Notice the new style zipper that no longer goes across the chest. I think he said this is the replacement for the hooded Arctic full suit.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I ordered one of the older 7mm arctic and they said they could no longer supply them but would send me the new Alpine instead. I have been looking for pictures but Bare is not showing anything on their web site.

I would like to hear your opinion of the suit after you take it diving.

orph:
Thanks for posting the pictures. I ordered one of the older 7mm arctic and they said they could no longer supply them but would send me the new Alpine instead. I have been looking for pictures but Bare is not showing anything on their web site.

I would like to hear your opinion of the suit after you take it diving.

Well i am happy to report i really like it. It was comfortable and kept the water flushing to a minimum. It is actually warmer than the Scubapro 7mm suit with a 5mm hooded jacket that i used to wear a few years back.....at least it seems warmer and much more comfortable. Although it does not compare to a drysuit it works really good for a wetsuit. For once it was nice not to have the extra drag created by a drysuit although i will still take a drysuit anytime over a wetsuit. It is also reallly nice to be able to easily unzip the hood after the dive and kick back on the surface. I hope you enjoy your new wetsuit when you get it.

lal7176:
Well i am happy to report i really like it. It was comfortable and kept the water flushing to a minimum. It is actually warmer than the Scubapro 7mm suit with a 5mm hooded jacket that i used to wear a few years back.....at least it seems warmer and much more comfortable. Although it does not compare to a drysuit it works really good for a wetsuit. For once it was nice not to have the extra drag created by a drysuit although i will still take a drysuit anytime over a wetsuit. It is also reallly nice to be able to easily unzip the hood after the dive and kick back on the surface. I hope you enjoy your new wetsuit when you get it.

I am really looking forward to it. Thanks for the information. I have been wearing a 7mm Henderson with a back zipper. I am really looking forward to getting in the water without that initial surge of cold water in the middle of the back.

I just spoke with my LDS about this suit. He said the zipper sits right on the jaw line, is that true? Seems like it would be quite uncomfortable if it does.

Thanks

Brian

lal7176:

Quarrior:
I just spoke with my LDS about this suit. He said the zipper sits right on the jaw line, is that true? Seems like it would be quite uncomfortable if it does.

Thanks

Brian

Yes it does and that was initially one of my concerns. You never even really feel the zipper sitting there. My only complaint with the zipper style is when i would look up or turn my head the zipper would pull the face seal away slightly letting in cold water. That may get better once the suit breaks in a bit. If you notice, the 7mm arctic hooded vest has the same zipper style.

I never dove the hooded arctic suit with the cross chest zipper and am curious why they went to the new ziper style. It looked comfy although it looks like a bit of a pain to get in and out of comapred to the new zipper design

lal7176:
I never dove the hooded arctic suit with the cross chest zipper and am curious why they went to the new ziper style. It looked comfy although it looks like a bit of a pain to get in and out of comapred to the new zipper design

My wife and I have the last years model "hooded arctic suit" with the cross chest zipper. We dive Monterey and it works very well, no leaks. The cross chest zipper is a pain. I have to have help getting in. Other than that, with 7mm gontlet gloves and boots it works great in the monterey waters.

BTW, I saw you dive in millerton lake, we must be in the same area. I did my first two OW dives there.

cheepguy:
My wife and I have the last years model "hooded arctic suit" with the cross chest zipper. We dive Monterey and it works very well, no leaks. The cross chest zipper is a pain. I have to have help getting in. Other than that, with 7mm gontlet gloves and boots it works great in the monterey waters.

BTW, I saw you dive in millerton lake, we must be in the same area. I did my first two OW dives there.

Yea we must be pretty close. I grew up in hanford and took my stress and rescue class at millerton and have done a few dives there. I know of another guy that dives there on a regular basis or at least used to. Kaweah can also be fun dive if the water level is up but neither one compare to the ocean.

Did you get certified by Bob's dive shop by any chance as i have heard they use millerton for their dives.

One thing i forgot to mention about the alpine suit. It is a bear to get out of by yourself due to the front zip design. Easy to get on but a real pain to take off.

lal7176:
Did you get certified by Bob's dive shop by any chance as i have heard they use millerton for their dives.

Yes I took the SSI OW from Bob's Dive Shop.

We go to Monterey most of the time. We have dove off the Monterey Express, which I really like. Catalina Island was the best dive trip to date for us (I talked to Dr. Bill there). I hope to find other Central Valley divers who would like to go on boat dives.
This would be a good year to learn Lobster hunting or maybe Kayak diving or both!

cheepguy:
Yes I took the SSI OW from Bob's Dive Shop.

We go to Monterey most of the time. We have dove off the Monterey Express, which I really like. Catalina Island was the best dive trip to date for us (I talked to Dr. Bill there). I hope to find other Central Valley divers who would like to go on boat dives.
This would be a good year to learn Lobster hunting or maybe Kayak diving or both!

I also do the majority of my diving in monterey either shore dives or boat dives. There are some great shore dives in the area conditions permitting. I try to plan at least one trip a month to monterey if not more if i can get away with it....lol.

I have also dove in the bay side of Morro Bay, spooners cove in montana de oro and leffingwell landing in cambria. Spooners and leffingwell are great kayak spots so you can get out a bit and away from the bad vis.....hopefully.

A buddy of mine does a lot of deep sea fishing around San Simeon and was told by other boats that there have been some great white sightings around the point of the cove.

PM me if you ever want to go diving on a fri or sat as those are my days off. Just dont ask me to go dive san simeon :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom