Bare 3 or 5mm mens suit with neck zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iyakonboats

Sound reasoning and science trumps your feelings
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, a while back on Twitter, in 2020, Bare teased me with saying "I would love their lineup for next year" because I made a mention to them it was odd the female versions of their 5mm suits had a zipper to help ease tension around the neck, but not the men's version of the suit.

For me, I am in between sizes, so if I go larger the suit is too large, so the next size down works very well, except I feel like I'm being choked so I have to pull on the neck sometimes when waters are choppy and we're waiting for the boat to come and get us...or sometimes while waiting to dive but I've gotten a lot better with my motion sickness too, which causes a small tear in the suit.

So, here we are in August 2021 and I've yet to see anything from Bare, or am I not looking hard enough? Anyone got insights or a scoop on this?

There is a big neoprene shortage at this time due to manufacturing constraints from covid and the worldwide shipping meltdown. Wouldn’t be surprised if that is what is delaying the Bare suit.

Wow, everything from silicon, metal(s), and now neoprene is in short supply, it truly is across the board. Oh well, I'll wait, thanks for letting me know that, its understandable.
'

Thanks, I tried their suits before and the sizing either was way too small or it was too bulky in certain areas. It was a bummer for me because it had the zipper in it too, and for a decent price.

To the OP: Does the Velcro not allow enough flexibility in the neck?

I’ve been diving a BARE Velocity 5mm for about 5 years, and never had a problem.

No, not enough flexibility, it starts at the point of the suit being zipped all the way up.

No, not enough flexibility, it starts at the point of the suit being zipped all the way up.

I have the same problem with the Bare ladies 3 mm wetsuits. The velcro at the back doesn't allow any adjustment of the way the neck fits. It's really uncomfortable until I get in the water. I'd actually ordered one for myself, but I got a call saying that the suits were out of stock (probably due to the neoprene shortage). I ended up purchasing another wetsuit and am really glad I did. I volunteer at the aquarium and the suits in the turtle tank are all Bare suits. They are very nice quality, but the neck would drive me batty if it were my own.

I have the same problem with the Bare ladies 3 mm wetsuits. The velcro at the back doesn't allow any adjustment of the way the neck fits. It's really uncomfortable until I get in the water. I'd actually ordered one for myself, but I got a call saying that the suits were out of stock (probably due to the neoprene shortage). I ended up purchasing another wetsuit and am really glad I did. I volunteer at the aquarium and the suits in the turtle tank are all Bare suits. They are very nice quality, but the neck would drive me batty if it were my own.

My wife's Bare 5MM has a neck zipper. She uses the Nixy for when the temperature is higher in the water. I really do believe they missed the mark on adding zippers to their 3MM and 5MM suits for both men and women because I've tried other suits and only theirs fits my wife and my body as perfect as possible, its just that darn neck.

Back
Top Bottom