Barbados trip report, 'Rogers Scuba Shack'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobagoman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Returned from Barbados Sunday (December 11th), We were suppose to be home saturday, but American Airlines fumbled the ball and we were stuck in Miami overnight and finally reached DC Sunday morning, sans all our checked luggage. If finally showed up 3 am on Monday morning, 'Yawn!'

Anyway, we stayed at the Sandy Bay Beach Club, after having reservations at the Amaryllis and getting caught in a bait and switch scheme to fill their sister hotels they put us at their newest sister resort 'Sandy Bay', which was nice, but not as nice as the Amaryllis. They did give us a large ocean front apartment and the all inclusive (meals/drinks) for the forced downgrade. Anyway that is a whole other story and if you want to read my report on the hotels, go to Tripadvisor.com and look up the Sandy Bay Beach Club. It wasn't really that bad and I would stay there again.

We dove with Roger's Scuba Shack for all of our diving and I was very happy with the operation. The most we ever had on the boat at one time were 6 divers, but most of the time it was just my wife and I and sometimes two other divers.

The Shack is located in downtown Bridgetown right on Carlisle Bay. It is a small operation that normally will only take a max of 8 people out on its roomy boat. The weather wasn't really cooperating while we were there and we had some overcast and rain showers on our diving days (monday - wednesday), mixed with sun. There is alot of coral bleaching going on around Barbados, I would say a good 10% of the corals had some level of bleaching occuring. This was due to thermal stess from high ocean temperatures over the summer. Mark, our divemaster told us that water temperatures had reached 90 degrees F. a few months ago. This is occuring all over the Caribbean this year.

We only dove 8 out of the 11 dives we had scheduled due to some mix-ups, but we still got a good taste for the diving around Barbados. Some of the reefs are very sparse while others are quite prolific in the species and numbers of coral and other invertebrates. There were many fish, but not many large adults of any species. I'm not sure if this is from overfishing or some other stress, but recruitment seemed strong.

Some of my favorite sites were Dottin's Reef, Asta Reef and Friars Wreck, the Boot, the Stavronokita (although I would need more dives and my doubles to better explore this wreck), and Carlisle Bay, which has about 6 wrecks scattered around a small area of the Bay. Infact, Carlisle Bay was probably the spot I liked the best and we ended up doing two day dives and a night dive here just because of the easy depth (<60') and lots of macro life for photography (octopus, seahorses, crabs, etc...) and great easily penetrable wrecks.

On 'The Boot' reef, we saw a total of 9 medium to large turtles on the one dive, some sleeping. We saw at least one turtle on every other dive.
The visibility varied greatly depending on rain showers which washed soil off the island into the surrounding waters, but it was as low as 40 foot on the Stav to 60' in Carlisle Bay and 80' at Dottins reef. Water temperatures were in the low 80's on every dive.

All the dives were drift dives except Carlisle Bay, even when the currents were light the dive boat still followed us around and picked us up wherever we surfaced, which was really nice. The DM we had with us on all the trips was Mark, a local and the brother of Roger (the owner). Mark is a boisterous young man with a quick wit and friendly smile. He was just a joy to dive with. We stayed down for the full tanks, usually over an hour depending on depths of the dives which started out as deep as 100' on the reefs to 130' on the Stav. All the tank fills were right on to hot, never less than 3000 psi and most of the time around 3100 - 3200 psi.

You had to hump your gear and tank down from the shop across the beach and wade into the water to the boat, which was fine and common in alot of the Caribbean. Most of the trips to the sites took only 10 - 15 minutes with some up to 30 minutes away (Stav). Only drinking water was provided on the boat. Rogers has a van that will pick you up from your hotel every morning and drop you back off in the afternoon. Pick-ups were usually around 8:30 am, so morning dives get a late start, but this is common with many of the dive ops in Barbados, and many of them do no more than 3 tank dives a day. Rogers will do 4.

Overall the diving in Barbados is good and on par with the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, but not as good as St. Lucia, and can't touch Tobago, Cozumel, Honduras, etc...
I would definetly recommend Rogers to anyone going to Barbados, I thoroughly enjoyed diving with Mark and 'The Shack'.

Oh, on a side note, in front of the resort we were staying in was moored Ram's boat, 'Scotch and Soda'. He only went out two days with a couple staying at our resort. I recommended him to them (they were fairly new divers). They were suppose to do a two tank dive with him each morning, but due to late starts and Ram not wanting to stay out, they only did a one tank dive each day and then came back to the mooring and sat on the boat and drank with him. They thoroughly enjoyed the operation, but if you were interested in doing some serious diving, that may not be for you.

I will post some pictures from the trip in my photo album on Scuba Board. http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=28967

Did you get around the island any? Nice place to drive around I think.

RICHinNC:
Did you get around the island any? Nice place to drive around I think.
We toured a little bit. Went up and saw Harrison's Cave and the East Coast. Stopped at Bathsheeba, but no one was surfing that day. The cave was really interesting, but I would have liked it more if we could have walked instead of riding the tram.

I think Little Bay...next to Cove Bay is the coolest place on the island. The Oistins fish fry Fri and Sat night is a must as is the Rythm and Roots review. The review is a little pricey but a blast if you are with the right people....those that like to dance and have fun.

I was waiting for this report. Mark is good guy, he took my nephew out back in the day. He's a big kid. Dirick and David are a nice guys too once you get to know him. I sounds like things have tightened up at the Shack. Petrine must be running things. I think you got in before things got too busy. I've seen the M'lisa with 12. (not cool) If you go again, check the less popular site like the Muff and High wire. Much better fish life there. The further south or north past Holetown much better diving. However, the Shack's not likely to take you, too expensive...gas prices cut into the profit too much. (BUt they will do private charters) Astor is always a big question, someone saw a nurse shark there this year and I believe a whale shark was seen last year. I've been there when the current was ripping and other times you had to swim the whole dive. When you crossed the sand over the tire pile did you see the octopus? or the big Baraccuda just past Fiars wreck?

I think over fishing is a problem, but Barbados has turles alot of turtles so that helps. I've been to the island six times since 2002 and Tobago 3 times. Tobago is the best, but the viz is not always on.
Good report.
SJS

Thanks for the report. Barbados sounds like a decent place to get wet but not a dedicated dive destination.

Yes thanks for the report, I've been waiting to see what you thought of your trip too!! - your photos are incredible!

Yes, Petrine is running alot of the day to day stuff. We wanted to do 'Muff' and 'High Wire' and Mark said they would have taken us there but the marker bouy's had been ripped off the site by a ship and he wasn't sure he could find the site without them, he was willing to try, but we decided not to. I didn't get the sense that fuel was a limiting factor for them on where to dive, considering some of the sites we went to were up around or north of Holetown.

Also, they no longer will fill their boat with that many divers, Roger told me that they limit it to only 8 divers now for logistical reasons. Even 8 divers on a boat to me is a lot, I think 4 or less is a better number.

Saw the barracuda but not the octopus there. I'm so used to seeing big barracuda in the Keys and off of North Carolina that they are kind of passe' for me now.

Back
Top Bottom