barbados in AUGUST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

092364sjs

Reaction score
Hi
I just wanted to know what others experience has been with diving in the summer in Barbados. I'm a recently certified Open Water Diver, that will be traveling back to Barbados in August as an Advanced diver (if all goes according to plan) I would like to dive the Stav this trip.
During my last visit I did my certification dive in a .5mm suit and was generally confortable except for the last dive on Astor reef. I occassionally got a blast of cooler water that was noticable but tolerable.
I need to know what the conditions were like for others diving around that time; especially if you dived the Stav.
I really liked diving in Barbados, because as a new diver, the dives have a lot of visual appeal, and range of challenges, without being overwhelmed. I'm going some wreck diving, in May, which will be much different.
Dived at Rogers Scuba Shack, nice group of folks. Roger was great to work with- very patient.
SJS:confused:

Wifey and I are going to Barbados in May, so I'd like to see what anyone else says... Never been there, but I'm excited to go.

-Frank

Barbados is not a dedicated dive island, so take your golf clubs & tennis racquets as well.

This does not mean it's not worth getting wet, however. The wreck of the SS Stavronikita, a 365 foot Greek shipping vessel, is unarguably the premier site & well worth doing, several times in fact. Also can catch 4 wrecks, including the Ce-Trak, Wolfe & Berwind, on a single dive off the southwest tip of the island. Couple of okay reefs up toward northwest end. Don't expect much in the way of fishlife, and nothing big.

There are some real decent operators there. Try Dive Shop (don't let their modest shop throw you off) (800-513-5823; tell them you want to dive with Haroon) & High Tide Water Sports (800-513-5763). Both can be booked in advance at pado@sunbeach.net, although should be no problem in just walking up.

It will be very hot & humid there in the summer. Look for vis of 70 to possibly 100 feet in summer & fall, 60-70 feet other months. Scuba water temps should be 84 plus/minus a degree in summer.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
[
The wreck of the SS Stavronikita, a 365 foot Greek shipping vessel, is unarguably the premier site & well worth doing, several times in fact. Also can catch 4 wrecks, including the Ce-Trak, Wolfe & Berwind, on a single dive off the southwest tip of the island. Couple of okay reefs up toward northwest end.
[/B]

The "Stav" is definitely a good dive.....bolt upright .....135 feet to the keel....yet the forward spar is only 18 feet below the surface. Great dive. Keep an eye out for a huge puffer that calls the Stav home!

A new wreck has been added to the others in Carlisle Bay. The "Bajan Queen" was deep sixed in May, 2002. A great addition.

Regards; jbm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom