Barbados Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catgirldiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to book a vacation in Barbados and it is getting very confusing. I have a list of places to stay, could someone that has been there please give me some advise?

The List:
Rostrevor Beach Apts.
Coconut Creek
Golden Sands Beach Apts.
Rainbow Reef Hotel
Butterfly Beach Hotel
Nautilus Beach Apts.

We are also planning on going diving with High Tide.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Catgirldiver

Hi Catgirldiver.....

I have been visiting Barbados every autumn for many years and am fairly familiar. Of the lodgings mentioned I am only familiar with Rostrevor Beach Apartments. It is a quite acceptable, recently renovated astablishment in St. Lawrence Gap but I feel the beach is lacking.

Are you intending on staying on the South coast? If so, Sandy Beach Resort offers extremely good value and is on one of the best beaches in all Barbados. Also, there is a great dive boat a stones throw from your balcony!

If you require more information about the south coast and Barbados.....dining.....diving......things to do.....do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards;

jbm

jbm,

Sandy Beach Resort is not listed as a choice in the Best of Barbados special. What about the Yellow Bird Hotel? Is it nice? We have never been to Barbados before so any helpful hints, recommendations and ways to see things with a budget in mind would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks,
Catgirldiver

Hi catgirldiver;

http://www.barbados.org/apt/finest.htm

Allthough I have no experience with Yellow Bird, I am sure it would be fine. It is located in St. Lawrence Gap, which is the center of nightlife on the south coast. Also located in the " Gap" are many fine dining establishments.
About a 10 minute walk away is Sandy Beach, for my money, the nicest swimming beach on the island. On a mooring there, you will find a boat called the Scotch & Soda. THe S & S and it's owner Ram, offer, in my opinion, the best diving on the island. Fun boat.

The premier dive in Barbados is the wreck of the "Stavronikita." A Greek freighter sitting bolt upright, 130 feet to the keel. Great dive!
Rental cars are very reasonable, I use "Coral Isle'' located on the south coast.
You should spend a day at Crane Beach. Actually I would recommend you have lunch at the Crane Beach Hotel......a world class view!
Friday nights is Fishfry Night in Oistins.....a must do ( about 10 minutes by cab from the Gap)
A great restaurant on the south coast is "Shells".......try the kingfish!

Hope this helps.....if you need more information , by all means pm me........

JBM has got it right, Barbados is an awesome place.

Like him, I only know the Rostrevor Beach Apts. and Yellow Bird Hotel and then only from the outside. So, sorry can't help you out too much on the accommodation front. However, I dropped a note to my friends who live there so should hear back soon.

The Gap is a fun place to hang your hat in, as was mentioned it is the "night spot area" of the south coast.

Ostins is a must for a Friday night. I tend to go there by bus, and return by taxi. As my place is near the gap, the cost should be the same. If I recall, the total trip was around 20 Bajan.

One of these days JBM and I will be on the island at the same time .... the island will never be the same.

When are you going?

Thanks a lot for the info. I will be anxious to hear what your friends from Barbados have to say about the Yellow Bird.

We are planning to go August 28 to Sept. 04.

If you think of anything else, I am all ears.

Catgirldiver

"Rostrevor Beach is in the St. Lawrence Gap and is a very nice hotel. I personally would stay there."

So there's your recommendation for a place to stay.

Land stuff to do / visit:
Island tour
Harrison's Cave
Orchid World
The Flower Forrest
Gun Hill
Atlanis submarine

-- well that's off the top of my head. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom