Barbados Dive Report (From a new diver)

Was this helpful?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CTBrianD

New
Reaction score
BARBADOS DIVE REPORT
MAY 2005

I just got back from a short vacation (long weekend) in Barbados and had such a great time diving that I thought I would pass on what I can about the trip. I want to give 'kudos' to our dive operator, Dive Barbados, so please read this entire review.

As background, I'm a newbie and now have 14 dives in my log book. I was certified in December in Key Largo and went back there in March for 4 more dives. My trip to Barbados was my third diving trip and my first set of dives outside Key Largo. The purpose of the Barbados trip was to get some more time in the water, and my dive buddy and I dove 3 days -- each 2 tank dives. This was a great trip and I'm still replaying all the mental tapes over and over in my mind. If all dive trips are a nice as this, I'll be doing this as often as possible (and I'll be bankrupt soon).

We dove with Dive Barbados, a small dive shop just north of Holetown. We found them on the PADI Dive Center Directory. I say 'small', but this is only compared to the operators I've dove with in Key Largo -- I'm guessing Dive Barbados is on par with other local operators. The boat could carry 6 divers but we only had 2 or 3 on each day. This made the whole experience very personal and enjoyable. John Moore is the dive master, and he clearly has a passion for diving and, more importantly, diving in Barbados. John explained the topology of the reef system, the geology of the island, and how all this comes together from a dive standpoint. He's also involved with the local turtle protection/nesting program, and works with the local authorities to maintain the dive locations. John is assisted by David, who helped with gear and drove the boat. David was also friendly and warm, and spoke with the local Bajan accent. I'm not familiar with the other dive operators in Barbados, but I'll return to Dive Barbados on my next trip -- based on having such a positive experience on this trip.

We booked our trip through American Airlines and stayed The Savannah, one of the hotels in the American travel program. The Savannah is located on the South Coast of the island and Dive Barbados is located on the island's West Coast. There is a large reef system running parallel to the West Coast and most of the dive operators are located here. The West Coast also seemed to be a little more up-scale (the Sandy Lane resort is located here and it is one of the top resorts in the world).

On our first dive day, we were picked up at the hotel by John's wife and business partner, Mary. Mary handles most of the business operations and was very friendly and helpful. We had to go through Bridgetown to get from the South Coast to the West Coast, and after the first day we rented a car to make this trip easier. I recommend renting a car if you stay on the South Coast. If you're staying on the West Coast you can probably use the local buses to get where you need to go.

We dove 3 days and each day we started with a dive on the outer reef at about 80'. The second dive each day was in shallower water, along an inner reef system. The first dive site we visited was Whitegates. Having only done shallow dives in Key Largo (30' - 40'), this was the deepest I had been. The reef was incredible – the coral and sponges seemed much more diverse than Key Largo, although the fish were not as plentiful. The colors on the reef were especially striking. We saw a couple of spotted morays and a Hawksbill on this first dive, and there were a couple large schools of Creole Wrasse. John pointed out things as we went along, including a large Spotted Drum and a large Burrfish. A couple of times we ran into fresh water mixing with the salt water. This created some interesting refractions and temperature differentiations in the water.

Our second dive as in Merlin Bay. The coral here was not as condensed and there were sandy areas intersperse between the coral. This reminded me more of Key Largo.

On our second day our first dive as at Haymans Reef. There was a strong current running that day and we ended up drift-diving for most of the dive. This was a new experience for me and I enjoyed watching the sights pass by without having to expend much effort swimming. Because of the current, our descent and ascent (including safety stop) were done without a line to hang on. This was also a new experience for me. A Hawksbill swam by during our safety stop.

Our second dive was at the Pamir, a wreck in about 60' of water. This was my first wreck dive and it was great. We spent time touring the outside of the boat and then did some swim-throughs of the interior. Exploring the interior was a bit creepy at first -- I later joked with my dive buddy that I kept expecting Shelly Winters to pop out at any moment. If you dive in Barbados you should not miss the Pamir. The area surrounding the wreck was a sandy bottom and there were a lot of Garden Eels. They were fun to watch as they popped in and out of the sand. We also saw some interesting shrimp. There were quite a few fish here, including a school of Creole Wrasse and an aggressive school of Sergeant Majors.

On our last day we started at The Boom, again at about 80'. There was very little current. The reef was great here, with drop-offs on either side. We were joined for part of our dive by a school of Atlantic Spadefish. We also saw a Barracuda -- relatively small compared to what I've seen snorkeling in other places. Our second dive was at Reed's Bay at about 40'. We got in the water in a very shallow, sandy area. John was hoping we'd find some Seahorses, but they were not around. We did see another turtle here, eating some sea grass. We then made our way to the reef, in a little deeper water. This reef had patches of sandy bottom and John pointed out a Sea Biscuit and some interesting sea slugs hanging off the coral. We also found a large crab -- it seemed to be about a foot wide across his body.

My dive buddy and I dove with full wet suits (3/2) and were very comfortable. On the first and second days we were joined by another diver from London who dove without a wet suit. I was glad I had mine, but I guess it was not a necessity. While at the Pamir I noticed some of the other divers there did not have wet suits either.

All-in-all this was a great trip with lots of new diving experiences for me -- deeper dives, descent/ascent without a line, drift-diving, and wreck diving. John and Mary were both wonderful and made our diving experience in Barbados very positive. They even gave us some good restaurant recommendations -- like the Surfside in Holetown, their local hangout. It’s a beachfront bar that also served burgers and some Indian food (yum!). I'm hoping to be able to go back and will use Dive Barbados again. Mary suggested coming back to complete the Advanced Open Water course. That sounds like fun.

If you’re interested in planning a trip to Barbados, I recommend you contact John and Mary at Dive Barbados. They can also recommend accommodations that are close by. Our trip was too short, but we were able to squeeze some great diving into a short amount of time.

Hi CTBD (that sounds like something from "Star Wars!")

From one newbie to another, let me say, "great first trip report, and good to hear you enjoyed Barbados." I'm copying your report and filing it, since Barbados is on our list of possible scuba trips.

Key Largo is also one our list of possible trips, but it sounds as though you enjoyed Barbados diving better, is that correct?

Thanks, alashas

Welcome to Scubaboard! Great trip report and great first post. Looking forward to more of the same.

What's up with Barbados and "Newbies"? My wife and I just returned from Barbados on 5-21-05. I won a vacation there through my work, and we had a bunch of activities planned for us while we were there. We were able to sneak in three dives while we there, and they were incredible!

These were our first dives outside of Texas after being certified. We had previously only been diving in some Texas lakes, so needless to say, the reefs off Barbados were a welcome and incredible experience. We did our first dive at Dottins reef in 50 ft of water. The coral was amazing, and there were a lot of fish present that afternoon, but all were small reef fish.

The second dive was the Pamir. We also dove the Pamir in the afternoon, and there were fish all over it! Like you mentioned, shrimp and eels were abundant in the area surrounding the ship. Very Cool. We also started around the bottom of the wreck. Then we worked our way into the ship, following our divemaster, and spent a total of 10-15 minutes inside the wreck. (Probably not something we should have done on only our second dive, but an experience I'll never forget!) Finally we spent another 15-20 minutes going over the rest of the wreck, did our safety stop, and headed back to the hotel.

For the third dive we went back to Dottins reef where we saw much the same stuff as we saw the previous dive, until a Giant Sea Turtle wandered by us. It was an excellent end to our dive. The turtle came through when I was down to about 700 psi, so I didn't get to spend as much time as I'd like with it, but a good 4-5 minutes was incredible.

I never heard a whole lot about diving in Barbados before I went. I would recommend Barbados to anyone who is looking for a quiet place to relax. We stayed at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion, and the service was great, the resort was inn great shape, and the food was excellent. We dove with Carib Ocean Divers who were part of the resort, and Lorenzo and his staff were easy to deal with, and very knowledgeable about the area. The best thing was that my wif and I were able to dive by ourselves with the DM. It made for a very special experience.

By the way, I am offically hooked on diving now! A good thing after dropping $2000 on gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom