Barbados, Bahamas or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

check your pm's

Any particular reason for those 3, or are they just places you've heard of? Bonaire & Cozumel are very popular dive destinations. A few questions that might help:

1.) Do you want to dive with a charter boat op. (take a boat out with a group, jump in, dive one tank, haul out, ride to another site, repeat, then head back to shore by mid-afternoon to do other things in the evening? If so, consider a charter boat - which I think could include any of your 3 plus Cozumel.

2.) Do you want to do 1.), but 4 or 5 dives/day, diving intensely and not a lot else? Consider a Live-Aboard.

3.) Do you want to mainly shore dive on your own schedule, drive around in a pickup, park on shore, walk in & out, without hanging with a group or having to meet a dive charter's schedule? Bonaire. Here's a link to a trip report to give you some idea what it'd be like.

4.) When is this? Some people even wear wet suits in Bonaire; I dove in Cozumel in 76 degree water & didn't even feel particularly cool without one, and I really, really don't like wearing wet suits. The Bahamas are chillier in winter, from what I understand. If you normally wear a wet suit anyway, maybe you don't care. If not, maybe you do.

5.) Is seeing a shark really high on your agenda? If so, the Bahamas seems to be a go-to place to spot one (albeit don't expect a great white).

6.) Do you want to do much besides eat, sleep & dive? Belize has Mayan temple ruins to visit. You can privately book the same sorts of tours cruise ship visitors do. I did one in Belize; our group took a boat up the New River & did a jungle tour at Lamanai, and climbed atop 2 of the 3 Mayan temple ruins we visited (I was on a cruise, but you needn't be). I shopping or baking on the beach a big deal to either of you?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom