Banned from TV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got done watching a movie called Banned from Television...has all sorts of gory footage etc etc....

The one I will talk about is footage of people playing in the water off some ship....I think they were on the boat for educational reasons, like a study or something..it was off the coast of Chile.

Well anyways, they show footage of a girl floating on her back and then about a 16 foot shark, which they said was a Great White comes up and bites one of her legs off....you clearly see the shark and how big it was.....you don't actually see any gore, as the cameraman was a little shaking up obviously.....

Clearly an uprovoked attack and probably a taste test, but it just sucks...the chances of that happening have got to be soo slim.

Anyone else seen this?

Jason

jepuskar:
Anyone else seen this?

I've got a clip of this on my computer, the voice over says that they are marine biology students taking a break in the water. It's pretty gruesome, and a good reminder that we are outsiders in the marine world, as well as, wild animals are unpredictable.

Was that the one on the NOAA ship where the girl lost her leg during a swim call?

Yeah
Actually, on either the animal planet or Discovery channel they featured that clip and another (the researcher who was doing an interview waist deep in Bull sharks, then gets tagged on camera and loses his entire calf muscle).

The girl"s was really horrid. First it bites her and lets go, then teh zodiac pickup vessel comes to get her. They think the shark thought this vessel was a competing predator, so the GW came back and grabbed her leg trying to pull her down. The people on the boat were trying to pull her up, and her leg snapped in the middle of this tug of war...

The rest of the show was kinda cheesy for my taste. Reconstructing shark robots, having them do simulated bites, a bunch of junk for me...

jag

Saw it. Interesting dilemma. If you are in the water, and this happens to you, do you want to wait, and see if the shark leaves, as most will do, or do you want to be picked up right away, with the chances that that would, (evidently), entail?

Hey Jep, I see you are sporting a new Av, very sexy :D

i was looking for Jep last night!!!!!!

he hangs out at Rebreather World now that he has passed over to the dark Prism lord (though he does pm my hubby which makes me feel kinda dirty) :D

i miss Jep... tried to find some pics for a "where's Jep" thread but couldnt find any

PhotoTJ:
Saw it. Interesting dilemma. If you are in the water, and this happens to you, do you want to wait, and see if the shark leaves, as most will do, or do you want to be picked up right away, with the chances that that would, (evidently), entail?

Ill take my chances with the rescue...GET ME OUTA' THERE!!! (=

Back
Top Bottom