Bangkok to Angkor Wat Tours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it for the first time in 92 when there were no tours and it wasnt that big a deal, except for staying out of areas where the Khmer Rouge were. Unfortunately they were trying to invade Siem Reap at the time.

I am sure that it is a heap easier now though, I went back to Cambodia in 94 and 96 and every time iswas easier and better. The first time I was there there wasnt really any food to buy, the last time it was good.

There are some good guest houses in Phnom Pen, I would get the name of one (I seem to recall 7th heaven guest houseon the lake in the northern side of the city) and then go from there after chatting to other schnackpackers.. Go with an open mind and a hard heart.. It is the most terrifying and hauntingly beautiful country I have been to, and I have been to a lot..

uniquecreature1:
Has anyone done a trip to Angkor Wat while in Thailand? Who is the best tour group to go with (at a reasonable price)??

I went from BKK to Siem REap by BangkokAirways, (see their website), stayed in a 6 USD guesthouse (good enough!!!! aircon etc), and hired motorguide for 3 days at Angkor.
I stayed at Smiley Guesthouse... when flying to SR there are minibusses waiting to catch guests... Smiley is definitely very fine.
Angkor is GREAT, 3 days needed to see. for sure!

bustrips to Angkor are cheaper... but takes a lot of time.... and ... well i did not like the trip back from angkor to BKK... so long time!

Have fun
jellz

Shop around because all the buses will have different prices but many will actually share the same bus. You'll be great from Bangkok to the border but be prepared for a crappy bus on the other side. The road is terrible but better than the road to PP. Have fun but remember there's more to Cambodia than just Angkor Wat. Go see some more if you have the opportunity.

Its dead easy to get a flight to Angkor from Bangkok (Bangkok Airways is my favorite), and there are tons of hotels (just check the web). You can see a lot in a day, but a few days would be nicer. Two tips. Check out the main temple at dawn from the back side, and shoot at least one roll of black and white film, as it is very evocative.

Have fun. Tim

From Bangkok, You can get to Siam Reab by air or by bus. Bus fare range from 200 baht to 600 baht, depend on where you buy your ticket. You may pay 600 baht and the guy next to you on the same bus may pay only 200 baht, so shop around if you decided to go by bus. Prepare to pay up some money at the border. A medical clearance document can be "purchased" at the border, and it was a requirement to cross into Cambodia.

Once you cross into Cambodia, prepare for bad road condition and prepare to pay more on crossing bridges. The locals purposely dig out the bridges or big holes on the road, sometimes the bus cannot cross so you have to change bus, you may or may not have to pay. But to walk across some temporary bridges because the original one was "damage", you will have to pay.

Siam Reab is a decent place. I stayed at the Angkor Wat Guest House. It is clean, private bathroom and only US$3.00 per person.

You can/have to hire a matorcycle taxi to take you around to see the 30 plus temples. I strongly recommend the 3 day pass as it is impossible to soak in the beauty of Angkor in one day! A good motorcycle taxi driver will be a good guide and can take you to even the less known places.

Back
Top Bottom