Bands or pnuematic: Which is more powerful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duca

Reaction score
Seems like a no brainer that the pnuematic spearguns would be esaier to use underwater.

What about power?

What about reliablility?

Duca,Pnuematic guns tend to be much weaker at depth.No-one seriosly hunts with them much.But to put a coupla fillets on the table ,they'll do.I prefer closed muzzle band guns.To me Biller has the best gun on the market.I few of my friends tried Riffes,but didn't like the open muzzle.

Odd, I had been told by wo people at my LDS this afternoon that pnuems were more powerful....

Anyone have FPS numbers on these things or is there anobjecive comparison available?
Rodale's apparently doesn't do spearguns...

Just like your air consumption rate, the pressure opposing the expanding gas that propels the spear in a pneumatic gun increases with depth, and the pneumatic gun loses substantial power if taken deep.
I prefer a band gun, whose power is unaffected by depth.
Rick

Excellent point.. which I hadn't considered.

Does anyone do tests on these things, or is it just "go with what you know" ?

So it is possible that the air guns more powerful at the surface. What about at 10'? 20'? 70'?
Is there a general guideline on at what depth the ease of use vs. powerloss makes the airgun less attractive?

Most band gun fans will look down their noses at pneumatic guns. However, don't count them out. For their size, they are quite nice. Where they excel is in the kelp where the big powerful band guns have a tenancy to snag and be hard to maneuver. The effective range for a pneumatic gun is 7 to 10 times the shaft length while band gun ranges are usually 5 to 7 times. Plus, most pneumatics toss a heavier shaft which gives it much more hitting power. Since the gun is pumped up to 30 atmospheres, it is true that going down deep will drop the pressure differential. If you are spearfishing at 100 feet or more, you will lose 10% of your power.

Now, all that said, pneumatics are a pain to get serviced. Most are plastic and aluminum and when you go to take one apart to inspect the internals, there is almost always damage done just in the disassembly. If you talk to the engineers in Italy that designed and build the pneumatics, they are amazed that we cheap Americans try to work on them. Over there, they are almost considered disposable.

Then again, you will never find pneumatic guns used in any serious spearfishing competitions.

Just my $.02

Ray

Pneumatic guns SUCK... PERIOD...

Not necessarily because of power but they are LOUD... VERY LOUD and what happens when there is a loud sound underwater and you are trying to spear a fish...

THEY ALL BOLT AWAY...

Bands are the only way to go if you ask me

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those :D

I still can't believe that the industry can't offer people an objective measure of either the speed of a given shaft, or its fot pounds of energy at a given distance...

Anyway, I spoke to Andre Biller at length the other day. He invited me to call him in an email conversation, so I did. I found him very informative and pleasant. The LAST thing he did was try to push his particuylar guns on me. I told him that I was planning on taking a trip to a certain city to try out the sport. Upon request, he looked up the name of a couple shops for me that carried his gear. The next day I was at a LDS that I have never been in before but Iheard catered to UW hunters. I spoke to a saleman there, who offered me a Biller 48" Special at a "year end discount" of $150.. I couldn't resist. SO I know am the proud owner of a band gun.. can't wait to try it out. I start my UW hunter specialty course next week.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

ID

I haven't held back yet.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom