Banda Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vogelm755

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking to do a liveaboard in the Banda Sea in Sept or October 2019. In general how are the sea conditions during that time of year as I have never been on a liveaboard before and not sure how I would handle rough seas?

The Banda Sea usually has comfortable dive conditions, with mild currents and calm waters. July and August can be rough but liveaboards don't tend to operate there during those months. (You'd be visiting in the main dive season).

There's more Banda Sea diving info here with some tips for how to get there etc.

Banda Sea liveaboards

In terms of sea sickness, some thoughts to consider for liveaboards:

- Catamarans are a good option as the hull design really minimises rocking and other boat motion.

- Phinisis are also good choices as their hull shapes allow smooth and easy sailing.

- You might want to check out the Solitude Adventurer catamaran and Emperor Raja Laut phinisi as a couple of examples for the Banda Sea.

- If at any point you want some ideas of other liveaboard destinations where the waters are calm do let me know. I've done some research in this area.

- Please also shout up if you have any liveaboard motion sickness queries. Sea sickness and I know each other very well lol - I have some tips from my time as crew.

Thanks,

Kathryn

I had good weather in October 2018, but I was told that the weather was bad the week before my trip. I seem to recall that @Dan_T has experience of bad weather in Banda. Perhaps he will chime in.

I had good weather in October 2018, but I was told that the weather was bad the week before my trip. I seem to recall that @Dan_T has experience of bad weather in Banda. Perhaps he will chime in.

I did in late November 2017, as described here: Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

I learn later that mid September to early October is the calmest time to sail there, weather wise. So, I plan to try it again this year with liveaboard that has the experience: Ring of Fire September 9-19, 2019

The Banda Sea usually has comfortable dive conditions, with mild currents and calm waters. July and August can be rough but liveaboards don't tend to operate there during those months. (You'd be visiting in the main dive season).

There's more Banda Sea diving info here with some tips for how to get there etc.

Banda Sea liveaboards

In terms of sea sickness, some thoughts to consider for liveaboards:

- Catamarans are a good option as the hull design really minimises rocking and other boat motion.

- Phinisis are also good choices as their hull shapes allow smooth and easy sailing.

- You might want to check out the Solitude Adventurer catamaran and Emperor Raja Laut phinisi as a couple of examples for the Banda Sea.

- If at any point you want some ideas of other liveaboard destinations where the waters are calm do let me know. I've done some research in this area.

- Please also shout up if you have any liveaboard motion sickness queries. Sea sickness and I know each other very well lol - I have some tips from my time as crew.

Thanks,

Kathryn
Thank you Kathryn for the information. Would appreciate leveraging your experience on other destinations as well as tips to minimise motion sickness.

Thank you Kathryn for the information. Would appreciate leveraging your experience on other destinations as well as tips to minimise motion sickness.

Absolutely, I'm always happy to help :)

Would you like to send message over a list of destinations with easy-going dive conditions and some sea sickness tips?

Highly recommend both Tambora and Pindito - great boats, safety focused, well laid out, good food and both often - with agreement from divers - do a little exploratory diving.

Both boats are proven performers on Banda Sea trips and all the other LOB destinations like Raja Ampat and Komodo.

Highly recommend both Tambora and Pindito - great boats, safety focused, well laid out, good food and both often - with agreement from divers - do a little exploratory diving.

Both boats are proven performers on Banda Sea trips and all the other LOB destinations like Raja Ampat and Komodo.
Thanks Solo Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom