Ballistic Vests and Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were at a seminar last week and were discussing some issues we have with some other teams.

One major problem we have is the heat. Standing around in a drysuit when it's in the upper 90s is not fun. When possible, we put the safety diver in the water up to their waist, but we can't always do this.

One of the guys on, I think, the Miami-Dade team said that they use ballistic vests and replace the plates with cold packs.

Anyone else do this?

Why don't you try a garden hose with a wand from a Hudson sprayer attached to it and mist the diver occationally. If you are near a fire hydrant you can connect it with an adapter that goes from 2 1/2" fire hose thread to 3/4" garden hose thread (same as iron pipe thread). Requesting a big red tool box on hot days is another source of water. I would think you have a good repore with the local fire department.

The title wasn’t what I was expecting. Sounds like a cool :wink: idea.

I did an emergency dive one night where I still had my vest, both steel plates, 3 knives and my back-up on when I took off. It wasn’t until I was done and getting unsuited when I figured out why I was so head heavy.:dork2:

I was totally protected should a Trigger Fish gone off the deep end. But then again we were in fresh water.:D

Gary D.

We are in the process of installing a 60g tank and showerhead in the back of our ambulance, but that will be mostly for decontamination. We do have a good relationship with the fire department, but I'm looking for a way to be self sufficient as much as possible.

Gary how much did wearing the vest and plates affect your diving? I think with the plates removed, the vest is light enough to not cause problems.

If you are near a fire hydrant you can connect it with an adapter that goes from 2 1/2" fire hose thread to 3/4" garden hose thread (same as iron pipe thread)..

Garden Hose thread is straight. Pipe thread is tapered. They aren't the same. But
there are adapters.

Gary how much did wearing the vest and plates affect your diving? I think with the plates removed, the vest is light enough to not cause problems.

I dive way heavy anyway so all it did was throw me a bit off balance which I am all the time anyway.:wink:

I just weighed my vest.
Plates: 3.6 pounds
Vest alone: 9.0 pounds
Total weight: 12.6 pounds

My back up and knives added another pound and a half.

It was enough that I could have eliminated over half of my belt.

Gary D.

Hmmm. I dive with 12 lbs now. This might be doable. I think I'm going to try it.

Hmmm. I dive with 12 lbs now. This might be doable. I think I'm going to try it.

We are diving dry and very rarely dive wet. Temps just don’t get very high even in the summer over 40’.

I can dive with 20# but the boys end up in my ear cannels from the squeeze. 30 pounds is what I normally do unless it a long one under the ice and I go to 35 for the warmth.

Rub it in, I know your ice dives are at the local bar. :D

Gary D.

I wear 12lbs dry with a hp steel 100. I can do it with 10, but I do like to be a bit heavy too. I don't need any weight diving wet with steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom