Bali water temps in Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHeid2288

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all!

Planning a september bali trip (thanks for the recommendation scubabaord members!)

I am trying to learn more about the water temperature in bali. I will be spending 2/3 of the time in Padangbai diving that area as well as Nusa Penida (crystal bay, manta point, gili tepekong, gili biaha, gili mimpang are all dives we hope to make). The rest of my time will be up in Tulamben/Ahmed. I understand these dives can get pretty cold. I am a former dry suit diver and once survived a weekend in 45 degree water with just neoprene. I think I'll be fine with a 3mil and a hooded vest. I am a little more concerned about my wife. She was cold in the cenotes in mexico (72 degrees) in a 7mil. I already found her a 5/3mm hooded vest. Now I am trying to decide between the 5mm or 7mm full suit to go with the vest.

My main question is- are the water temperatures consistently 68-72 degrees in September at those dive sites? I read somewhere that there are "upwellings" that can get that cold. Does this imply that most of the diving is warmer but parts of the dives get cold?

I would appreciate any input. She really wants to see the Mola's but she gripes a lot when she's cold :D. Trying to find a perfect balance of warmth and comfort (we all know super thick neoprene is not fun to wear!).

Also, any recs for the trip from those who have been is appreciated

Tulamben/Amed area will be 27 - 28 C, although down near Japanese Wreck area can get the occasional cold upwelling.

Padang Bai, Penida etc can range anywhere between 16C - 28C depending on upwellings. Northen Penida such as SD, Ped are typically 25 - 27C in Sept but can run colder. Crystal I have had 16 but typically 19 - 23C, same with Manta Point.
Tepekong, Mimpang, Biaha etc I would say 19 - 23 but can be lucky and have 24 - 26 if upwellings are on your side.

Think Shrek... Ogres and onions have layers :D

ps: sorry, I am too lazy to google the F equivalents :D

Tulamben/Amed area will be 27 - 28 C, although down near Japanese Wreck area can get the occasional cold upwelling.

Padang Bai, Penida etc can range anywhere between 16C - 28C depending on upwellings. Northen Penida such as SD, Ped are typically 25 - 27C in Sept but can run colder. Crystal I have had 16 but typically 19 - 23C, same with Manta Point.
Tepekong, Mimpang, Biaha etc I would say 19 - 23 but can be lucky and have 24 - 26 if upwellings are on your side.

Think Shrek... Ogres and onions have layers :D

ps: sorry, I am too lazy to google the F equivalents :D

I am a lazy ogre ... anything above 25C= sharkskin top and shorts :D:D:D

Last edited:
Granted I am a warm-water-wuss, but there has never been a time diving around Nusa Penida or Padang Bai when I wasn't feeling the cold. Minimum 3 mil and a 3 mil hooded vest for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom