Bali Jan/Feb 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shelly N

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know about the variable weather at this time of year, but my husband's profession allows for 1 long trip a year between Jan and Feb. Got a great deal on flights Jan 24- Feb 5, so Bali it is. Trying to figure out the possible options of 2 or 3 places to stay to dive and see sights where we may have the best luck with dives. Meaning east or west, north or south etc. I'd like to see manta, but we saw them in Hawaii and Red Sea. We like the nudis, and colorful coral. Wrecks aren't really my thing, but wouldn't mind if that's where we end up.

We are doing this dive trip (land-based itinerary) and adding on a few days next March. Can't wait!

I have traveled to both Bali and Thailand in last couple of years and routing for both was through Singapore, so if the flight is similar price Jan/Feb in Thailand weather is far preferable, I was just in Bali at end of rainy season and it rained a lot! With that said , You can take a boat to Nusa Pineda, but based on what you are looking for id do Tulamben and Amed for really good Soft and hard corals. Tulamben has the USS Liberty , which now is basically a big reef and is a very nice dive! Amed has beautiful walls and both had great conditions! I would stay away from Patangbai, its a great spot to stay but the local diving was meh, and vis was terrible, it is an easy launching spot to the outer islands though , but it is a solid hour ride to the above mentioned dive sites! Don't even bother going near Kuta no diving to speak of and the beach has 60-70 tons of trash wash up daily an environmental travesty!

I have been in Bali on several occasions at that time, early February, and the weather and diving has been excellent. This year I could not get away until March and apparently the weather in February was awful. There were probably fewer critters in March as a result of all this rain the month before. But I would not hesitate to travel to Bali in February again. Tulamben has wonderful macro and Padang Bai has access to excellent reefs and mantas over on Penida. Staying in Lembongan for five plus days is also a great option.

Thanks so much! This is helpful, I think spending half in tulamben and half on Lembongon/Penida will be good, we don't much like partying and crowds, so will try to avoid those areas

I will be @siddhartha hotel, Tulamben from Jan 30 only for three nights.
I asked the guys of the dive shop there for a diving at manta point in Nusa Penida, they said that it is not reccomended because the visibility is near 5 meters in february and there is no mantas. :-(
I will wait to be there and ask for conditions to deside where to spend my few choices to dive.
If visibility is not good at Nusa Penida I expect to have amazing shore dives in Tulamben.

I asked the guys of the dive shop there for a diving at manta point in Nusa Penida, they said that it is not reccomended because the visibility is near 5 meters in february and there is no mantas. :-(
I will wait to be there and ask for conditions to deside where to spend my few choices to dive.
If visibility is not good at Nusa Penida I expect to have amazing shore dives in Tulamben.
I have been to Bali on many occasions in early February and on one trip only, did not see any mantas. On all of the others there were plenty.

Hi Alejandro 👋🏼,

I can tell you straight, that the information about no mantas at Nusa Penida in February is not true.

I've dived Manta Point maybe 50 times, more or less, and you're basically "guaranteed" to see Manta any day of the year.

If the sea conditions are bad due to huge swells, most dive centres won't go to Manta Point.

Good luck 👍🏼

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom