Bali Dive Ops, Down to 3.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amadeus00

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've narrowed down three different dive ops in Bali that I would like to organize my honeymoon/dive trip. I don't know which one to choose. I based my selection on how informative and helpful each dive ops were and these are the last three.

BIDP Bali International Diving Professionals
AquaMarine Diving
Bali Scuba

I will be staying in Ubud for the first portion of the honeymoon to do topside activities. For the second half, we are relocating to Candidasa to dive. I know everyone is going to recommend that we stay at Tulamben for a day or two but my hotel is set. Given the circumstance and location, who would you recommend I go with out of the three choices?

Thanks for your comments.

In June 2002, we dove with Aquamarine Diving for 1 day in Gili Mimpang and the Blue Lagoon out of Candidasa.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend them. The owner, Annabel Thomas, was a pretty weird lady. There were 2 couples on the daytrip, and she kept looking down at us b/c our hotel was not in Nusa Dua....We were staying at La Taverna Hotel in Sanur, which we thought was a wonderful hotel, and definitely the best one we stayed in during that vacation!

Perhaps the worst part was that the tubing on the regulator of the other couple's lady came off as she was going down in the first dive at Gili Mimpang, and she was breathing water. Needless to say, she went back up and swore NEVER TO DIVE AGAIN (I am not sure whether she kept her promise). Annabel, rather than apologize profusely, kept going on about how ALL her equipment had just been serviced. My girlfriend, after witnessing this, decided to skip the second dive. I did both dives and so did the other lady's husband. Annabel charged the other lady for 1 dive, and my girlfriend for both dives!

The Balinese DMs were helpful and generally safe, but the image of Annabel haunts my memories of those 2 dives to this day!

The dive sites, however, were wonderful. Gili Mimpang was teaming with whitetip sharks and large schools of batfish, and the Blue Lagoon was more of a macro-life dive.

Overall, I would definitely dive in Bali again, but not with Aquamarine. Maybe if you have your own set of gear???

Hope this helps!

J.

PS: In Ubud, make sure you check out Nur Salon (for hard-core 2-hour Balinese massages and treatments) and Ubud Sari Health Resort (for more westernized massages). For food, try Ary's Warung and Cafe Lotus (right next to the Pura Taman Saraswati, make sure you ask them to seat you on the deck). Ary's probably has the best food in town, while Cafe Lotus has the best setting next to the lotus ponds.

We dove with BIDP. Avandy and his crew are the best! Very professional, very friendly and efficient service. Great speedboat too (with toilet).

In Ubud, dont pass up the chance to try Babi Guling.. roasted pig.. uhmmm!!

I would also go for bali scuba dived with them in 2004 and again in 2005. I,m very happy about the services they provided and would use them again when in Bali.
I would recommend to do at least a day trip to Tulamben to see the wreck as this is one of the best dives in Bali, at least i think so.
Bali scuba and BIDP are both in Sanur so you would have to talk with them about logistics.I do not know Aquamarine or where they are located, if this is Candidasa they might be cheaper.

Enjoy your honeymoon,

nitrox66

amadeus00:
I've narrowed down three different dive ops in Bali that I would like to organize my honeymoon/dive trip. I don't know which one to choose. I based my selection on how informative and helpful each dive ops were and these are the last three.

BIDP Bali International Diving Professionals
AquaMarine Diving
Bali Scuba

Thanks for your comments.

I would agree with the other post about Aquamarine. I also had a rather strange experience with them in Sept03. Because we were in Bali during mola-mola season, and Aquamarine advertised that they did a special (more expensive) mola dive, we selected them. However, instead of going to where the molas are usually found, we ended up at another divesite that was subpar - lots of dynamite damage and not much coral or fish. When we got our bill, we were charged an add'l $20 or so per person as if we'd done the mola dive. We complained and they adjusted our bill, but if I hadn't been paying attention, we would have ended up being charged a premium for the worst dive we did on our trip. They also double charged us for a hotel transfer. Maybe we caught them on a bad week and the person in the office just wasn't paying attention, but I don't think I'd try them again. I don't know Bali Scuba but have heard good things about BIPD.

Chandidasa and Ubud are quite far (several hours) from these operators, aren't they neve? I guess if they are diving Tulamben they can be picked up on the way but what about other dive sites?

I'm surprised nobody has recommended Ena Dive Center. I dived with them on several occasions in October and thought they were fun and professional. I even had the opportunity to dive with Mr. Ena himself. I enjoyed talking with him about DEMA and Bali. www.enadive.co.id

Give them a quick look.

Chris

Thanks for the tips guys. Now that I'm back, I can give some of my own feedbacks.

BIDP was professional and safe to dive with. It was a little inconvient to travel to Sanur from Candidasa but they were accomindating enough. Their prices were higher that most. Very professional and the crew was fun to hang out with.

I also dove with a remote branch of Blue Lagoon and they were equally nice. They were out of the Bali Shangrila Beach Club in Candidasa and dove right off of the coast of Candidasa.

Back
Top Bottom