Bald and hoods - need extra insulation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently took the plunge and shaved my head. I did have thick hair before, just not everywhere up there. So there was plenty of hair to prevent water sloshing around under the hood.

I'm trying to figure our what, if anything I need to do to stay warm.

Cold-ish water diving - Southern California. I usually wear a 7mm suit with a 5 or 7mm hood. Now that I don't have any hair left to keep the water from sloshing around up there under the hood...

Should I put a thin 1-2mm snorkler's hood under main hood? Is that even practical? I haven't been back in the water yet, wondering if I even need to bother taking an extra hood next trip.

Cold-ish water diving - Southern California. I usually wear a 7mm suit with a 5 or 7mm hood. Now that I don't have any hair left to keep the water from sloshing around up there under the hood...

Should I put a thin 1-2mm snorkler's hood under main hood? Is that even practical? I haven't been back in the water yet, wondering if I even need to bother taking an extra hood next trip.

Just use a proper fitting hood. I have a "shaved head" and use proper fitting hood and there are no issues.

There are diving beanies you can get with a chin strap. Might be something to look into.

Did you shave your head recently??????

You silly man! I’ve seen others diving with them, including one who dives with a dry hood due to ear issues. Has to wear a beanie underneath for warmth and to be able to equalize.

I have not noticed any thermal difference between a full head of hair and nearly shaved. Fit and thickness will matter more. Trying to add patches is likely to increase the amount of water and be colder. A proper fitting hood should be warmer on a bald head. Proper fit is key, it the fit is off it won't be that good.

I have been shaving my head regularly for the past 6 years and dive with a 5mm hood if the water is colder than 15c (59f). For those mid-winter dives when the water temp is down between 2 and 4c (35.5 and 39.5f) I will sometimes wear, if I remember to pack it, a beanie designed to be worn under a whitewater kayak helmet. It is thin enough to fit under my hood without adding much bulk.

I think the key though is exposure protection that fits properly. While diving a drysuit, after about 30 to 45 seconds, my head does not feel cold as my body realizes it is comfortable and the blood vessels in my head and face parasympathetically begin to dilate allowing blood flow to warm them up.

If you are cold on a dive, and concerned that your hood won't cut it, look to make sure your wetsuit is properly form-fitting, and of adequate thickness to keep your core warm. If diving a drysuite, be sure your undergarments are of appropriate insulating capacity for the water temp. If these issues are addressed you shouldn't have any issues using the same hood with/without hair.

-Z

No hair on my head either (long thick beard though, could be used as a neck warmer). I use a 7mm Bare ultrawarmth bibbed hood year round in our water (~47 degrees currently). I'll wear a 5mm ultrawarmth on warm water trips.

Snug fit is key.

Thanks! I hope to actually get in the water this weekend. I've been out so long my grills have dried out.

Back
Top Bottom