Balances P valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When do you open your balanced p valve? Right when you get in or when you need to go?

I have the Light Monkey Tinkle valve. It stays open. I only close it if I’m not diving plumbed.

When do you open your balanced p valve? Right when you get in or when you need to go?
I never do anything with a balanced valve. It has check valves in it. Pee at will.

Dido marie13. The only reason to close it is if there is a failure in the plumbing..

Most of us who started with a balanced P-Valve ended up removing the balancing parts after having to wash the thinsulate and sponge the inside of the drysuit a couple of times. Balanceing and dry don't go well with each other, at least over many dives.
Michael

Most of us who started with a balanced P-Valve ended up removing the balancing parts after having to wash the thinsulate and sponge the inside of the drysuit a couple of times. Balanceing and dry don't go well with each other, at least over many dives.
Michael

I have heard other experienced divers say this same thing. I’m beginning to lean that way myself.

I have a Light Monkey Tinkle. I have had nothing but erratic operation from this thing. Just last week I tore it apart and found that the duckbill valve was damaged, which I am thinking is where my leaking may have been coming from. At least, I really hope so. :)

In its defense, I’m pretty sure I’m the one who screwed it up. In reading the instructions for servicing, it states not to tighten down the hex key plug thingy too tight. I’m pretty sure when I got it, I tightened it down. :( So it may be my fault, and not the valve’s.

I replaced all of the parts and I’m going diving this weekend, so we’ll see what happens. But if I have more problems with it, it’s all getting ripped out: I can open it when I need it! :)

Unbalanced ftw

I had the original balanced LM with the bolt. The check valves started to fail and leaking into the suit.
Removed the check valves and made it an unbalanced one. It only gets shut when diving un connected.

Simpler is better.

Dido marie13. The only reason to close it is if there is a failure in the plumbing..
Then you have to call a plumber.
1 : a dealer or worker in lead. 2 : one who installs, repairs, and maintains piping, fittings, and fixtures involved in the distribution and use of water in a dry suit. 3 : a person whose job is to prevent or put an end to leaks of sensitive information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom