Baja Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never could find out. I used to do gold prospecting but I wasn't going to bring my detector into Mexico unless I was absolutely sure.

I was reading in a book about good areas to go prospecting for gold in baja. I followed the directions, came over a rise and there was a large Mexican flag, a fence with barb wire and a major industrial mining site right where the book directed. I guess the information in the book was good but a little bit out of date.

Thats kind of a neet story Dennis , where abouts in Baja were you . What book did you have if you dont mine me asken.

Baja Adveture Book.

I don't have my map but it was going up the road parallel to the Sea of Cortez, not the Pacific side. It was far north down a dirt road

Don't head down there without joining Baja Adventure Club. You can get car insurance, fishing license, and travel card before you leave the USA. It's just a fantastic resource with newsletters and a great bookstore.

I used to work on a ship, when it pulled into San Diego for shipyard, I would take off for 4-6 weeks. I kept my RV in Chula Vista. I would go to Costco, load up groceries and exchange dollars to Pesos. Then it was head south. I would bypass Tijuana, spend a night in Ensenada, clear the military check point south of Ensenada, and I was in the real Baja.

When are you thinking of going, I may have some books.

Last edited:
It is not illegal to use a metal detector in Baja, or any other part of Mexico for that case as long as its not used for commercial purpose. The thing being that all mineral products in Mexico are considered state property. In other words, If you find a gold mind, oil well or any other kind of mineral deposit and are planning to extract it, then you have to a bunch of paper work to be certified by the Mexican goverment as a legal miner.And thats exactly where thing can be misintepreted by some state oficials and they might try to scare you into paying a fine or getting your gear confiscated. I've never done it myself but know of many others that have done it with out getting into any legal issue. Best advice is once you have certain area defined to where you are going to use it, check with the local oficials just to let them know what you are doing and avoid getting into any hassle.

Back
Top Bottom