Bailout rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has 2 hoses so should be better then a normal pendulum rebreather. And it depends on head space and scrubber layout.... that is unclear to me.

Has 2 hoses so should be better then a normal pendulum rebreather. And it depends on head space and scrubber layout.... that is unclear to me.
Apparently you know better than the people actually diving them. There is a reason it never made it to market.
It was a ~3lb axial scrubber, about 4inches in diameter and 6 inches long.

I would build it with a good water trap.
And have a 2 pass scrubber
No Kiss unit has a water trap and the Sheppard no different than the spirit, sidewinder, sidekick or classic (or the former sport)

Yes this is become more and more popular as people are pushing the limits of overhead exploration and deep deep dives.

You could really spend hours and hours discussing this topic, its not a new concept but its just not commonly seen so there are lots of different trains of thought on it. TDI has a nice generic write up on it, does not go into much detail but give a good explanation of the general idea. Using a Bailout Rebreather - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

Also Divesoft has been really pushing to make there sidemount unit as a bail out rebreather a mainstream thing, they even have a BO rebreather mode on there proprietary computer.

I am in the process of transitioning to a Triton as a BO unit. Similar to this I have some friends using this unit and are very pleased with it also is a very nice deco unit.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other route is to go with dual rebreather. Some have been playing around with this concept for a while now by banding two canister together like a twinset. I think Craig Challen and Richard Harris really set the standard for this with the dual Meg.

<iframe src="Pearse Resurgence 2020 from Richard Harris on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">Pearse Resurgence 2020</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/divedoc">Richard Harris</a> on <a href="Vimeo | The world's only all-in-one video solution">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="Twin Meg breakdown from Richard Harris on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">Twin Meg breakdown</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/divedoc">Richard Harris</a> on <a href="Vimeo | The world's only all-in-one video solution">Vimeo</a>.</p>
I gather everyone on this thread watched in awe the workings of the expedition-built Megalodon CCR. But nobody bothered to question whether stainless steel bands are compatible with aluminum scrubber buckets. (Corrosion wouldn’t be a problem since the unit is used in freshwater). While I’m here, I’ll extrapolate my expedition CCR choice. Although the expedition-built Megalodon looks cumbersome (2 independent handsets, loops, scrubbers, control units, censors, etc., on one set of counter lungs), I would probably go with the JJCCR/Megalodon/AP and use the Triton CCR as the backup since it’s been tested to 210 metres; although, I’ve only heard of it flooding once.

Here goes another thread derailment, but...
I hear this again and again: Apeks seat failure in a high O2 environment...
Is there a thread? Should I start one? Where is the data?
And if it's true, why hasn't everybody switched to Poseidon XStreams? Or at least 3960's?

I concur with your persuasions that another thread should begin.

I gather everyone on this thread watched in awe the workings of the expedition-built Megalodon CCR. But nobody bothered to question whether stainless steel bands are compatible with aluminum scrubber buckets. (Corrosion wouldn’t be a problem since the unit is used in freshwater). While I’m here, I’ll extrapolate my expedition CCR choice. Although the expedition-built Megalodon looks cumbersome (2 independent handsets, loops, scrubbers, control units, censors, etc., on one set of counter lungs), I would probably go with the JJCCR/Megalodon/AP and use the Triton CCR as the backup since it’s been tested to 210 metres; although, I’ve only heard of it flooding once.
[Mod Edit]

A stock triton cannot be used at 210 meters btw

Why would you use a stock triton as a BoB, thing floods every third dive it does and eats trough electronic at the same speed my Meg eats batteries.

A stock triton cannot be used at 210 meters btw
Right but you just need to replace the original mav by a needle valve or add a bypass line.
Some people took the Triton to 240m

Why would you use a stock triton as a BoB, thing floods every third dive it does and eats trough electronic at the same speed my Meg eats batteries.
The Triton is used quite regularly as BoB and no it doesn't flood. Why do you say that ?!
Now regarding the electronics, it comes with SW if you like...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom