Bailout rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who has actually been deep enough for the CMF to stop flowing will already know that the need to add in order to keep the PO2 up is both very minimal and very far between additions. A small offboard tank of "rich" diluent is all that is needed.

As to using a bailout rebreather - it can make these dives both easier and more complicated at the same time. It is not an foolproof answer and requires a h**l of a lot of faith in your skills and equipment. Using them without first doing a lot of practice, trial, emergency, test dives first will most definitely not end in a favorable manner.

Here goes another thread derailment, but...
I hear this again and again: Apeks seat failure in a high O2 environment...
Is there a thread? Should I start one? Where is the data?
And if it's true, why hasn't everybody switched to Poseidon XStreams? Or at least 3960's?

This is the first I have heard of this and I know ALOT of people that dive Apeks regs both for bail out's and dil/O2 supply. I would be curious to see some post about what the exact failure is and some pictures as well?? I have never had a problem with Apeks seats nor have I heard any other fellow divers complain about them and I have about a dozen Apeks regs that all use the same seat so I have gone through alot of HP seats but never had any fail. Maybe it was just a bad batch of plastic for a specific manufacture run???? I would agree maybe worth starting a new thread, I am very interested to know more about this.

Only issue I have noticed over the years of using Apeks regs is the diaphragms. I find with high He mixes say 70%+ it seems that the He leaks past the diaphragm and bubbles out the environmental seal so your reg looks like it has a environmental seal tumor/zit. During lots of use about 1-2 a month I have to relive the tumor pressure from all my deep bailouts by unscrewing the eviro cap and when I do you can hear the gas hiss out.

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten the CMF/needle issue. But for us eCCR folks, why Apeks? I'm getting ready to jettison my US4's on my JJ...

Oooo Ooooo :happywave::happywave::happywave: Ill take them if you do, message me. Those US4's are hard to come by outside the EU.

This is just what prompted my post!

I know of quite a few newer JJs that came with DS4s that have had failed seats within a year. There are plenty of techs complaining on the book of face about how the new Apeks seats suck.
This is the first I have heard of this and I know ALOT of people that dive Apeks regs both for bail out's and dil/O2 supply.

Does anyone have more information on this rebreather... seems a bit vague from what I can find online. Wondering why it didn't become more popular... I know it a scr. But it seems like a good solution for bailout... how was the wob?

Attachments

• 1403394_10154792941675175_249602735907280865_o.jpg
    1403394_10154792941675175_249602735907280865_o.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 134
Does anyone have more information on this rebreather... seems a bit vague from what I can find online. Wondering why it didn't become more popular... I know it a scr. But it seems like a good solution for bailout... how was the wob?
I don’t know that it was ever released to the public/production. Mike had since updated it to be a CCR and there’s some other small prototypes in existence but nothing available.

Shh nobody tell the KUR guys with a plugged IP Fathom. Technically with the needle, it's a variable CMF. With correct springs, higher test hoses, and a little luck on abysmal Apeks seat quality, you can get towards a 20bar IP.
The Apollo A320 Oxy https://www.facebook.com/OpenSafetyEquipment/photos/a.623950087634495/2595523583810459/ can be optioned factory set to 19bar with Gleitmo 599 lubricant GLEITMO 599 | FUCHS LUBRITECH
They don't fail...
Tested by Bam.de for Oxygen Service
Three year service interval.
User serviceable by those who are trained technicians.

With the associated CMF and MAV Oxygen Injector https://www.facebook.com/OpenSafetyEquipment/photos/a.156887377674104/202552946440880 capable of handling 300bar in case of seat failure. After which it fails safe and delivers a constant 10L/min O2.

Getting below 80m on mCCR is easy peasy. Personally I have a 200psi blocked 1st. The days of CMF being an engineered depth limit are long gone.
~180m is pretty much the functional limit now for a stock off the shelf CMF unit that will still pass CE (to 100m) testing criteria.

Euro divers use them a lot, all of the Lake Garda depth record fatalities were diving them (one dude didn't take one on his "record breaking" dive due to it breaking a day earlier, apparently both his scooter and rebreather failed before reaching 313). I saw plenty of people with a flex as bailout or dual t-rebs and I got a feeling that most of them would dive just the same without any bailouts.

I would be interested to know what others that have dove it think. I have a similar project built in my head and see alot of pros to this layout.

Seems like if the msr bag was clipped to LH chest D ring it should breathe almost as good as any front mount rebreather...

It probably went unpopular when the 3rd season of lost aired and jack fell to pieces...

It was a pendulum rebreather. A few prototypes were given away/sold. It was never sold commercially and a REALLY bad idea as a bailout rebreather. Without good respiratory discipline and shallow depths (dwell time is miniscule) you will die of CO2 poisoning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom