Bailout cylinder options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking at bailout options. I'm primarily a wreck diver.

I am going to breakdown the majority of my doubles and get rid of them...however, I have 2 sets of lp72's. I'd like to keep one set for the occasional OC dive.

72's seem like they would be sweet bailout tanks as they are lighter on land and slightly more negative in the water than AL80's.

Can anyone think of a reason not to carry the steels as bailout, assuming they are an integral part of my buoyancy plan?

As long as you plan for the weight factor it should be fine. When I dive a 7 litre 300 bar steel, it will not be handed off if my buddy needs it. When I dive an AL 80 then if needed I’m happy to hand off.

I like steel bailout while cave diving, because I carry a pair of cylinders and side mount them. In open water, are you also carrying a pair? If not, I'd think the only disadvantage to steels would be the increased in water weight having a tendency to make you list to the side if you're unbalanced. If you DO carry a pair, though, the 72's would work great.

. In open water, are you also carrying a pair? .

If I only need 1 large bailout...no. But then again I'd be happy with an AL80 in that instance.
I don't really buy into the "team bailout" craze, because quite frankly there are a lot of things that could go south on any dive.

My thought is a sidemounted pair of 72's, one with bottom gas and the other with deco gas...probably 50%. Mostly for 100m+ dives. I can carry my O2 in a 40.

I'm looking at bailout options. I'm primarily a wreck diver.

I am going to breakdown the majority of my doubles and get rid of them...however, I have 2 sets of lp72's. I'd like to keep one set for the occasional OC dive.

72's seem like they would be sweet bailout tanks as they are lighter on land and slightly more negative in the water than AL80's.

Can anyone think of a reason not to carry the steels as bailout, assuming they are an integral part of my buoyancy plan?

Depending on the rig you're diving you'll likely be overweighted with steel bailouts, even with a drysuit and thick undergarments. Using one of the steel 72's for your deep bailout bottle might work as the mix might offset the weight and it would solve the annoying tail float that alum 80's have with helium.

Let him die? :D
Not again no. Never hear the end of it.

Steel tanks I have a longer hose, tank stays on me, reg to buddy. Ali tanks I have the option to give them the whole tank if needed.

I'd start with how much gas you need for bailout for the dive plan in question, then work backwards from there.

IMHO, I hate heavy stage/bailout bottles in the open water.

I think I would agree with most of the comments above.

Avoid steel - go for aluminium if buying new. Neutral in the water is a blessing, especially on a rebreather. If you have to remove the stage for any reason you don't want a weight shift if you can avoid it.

How much bailout do you need for the dives you are doing? If you are doing the odd 'deep' dive and the majority are shallower, can you borrow a cylinder for the odd deep dive?
Alternately, look at carrying two smaller cylinders for the deep dives and one small cylinder for the majority of your diving.

If you are diving with an OC buddy most/alot of the time, you need to be aware that they may well be using your bailout. Being able to hand it off is a bonus.

Team bailout is a pain, but sometimes the only practical solution if the dives are deep and long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom