Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to several islands in the Bahama chain: Grand Bahama, Great Abaco, Andros, Long Island, Eleuthra, Cat Island, Bimini, New Providence, the Exumas and a bunch of others that I don't know their names (there are 800 that make up the Bahamas). I'm very partial to Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros, although its been several years since I've been back.

I don't know what's on the island, but the nicest dives we did on our recent trip on the Caribbean Explorer II were off San Salvador.

Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros is a nice place. I've been there a few times, haven't been there recently.

I wasn't impressed by the dive ops out of Nassau, too many frigging tourists in general.

I recommend avoiding the tourist traps (Nassau, Freeport, etc.) and trying some of the more remote Out Islands. Unless your idea of fun entails drinking a lot of alcohol with a bunch of obnoxious cruise boat passengers.

The diving in the Bahamas, in general, is not as good as other places like Bonaire or Cozumel. But you can be in Andros in 45 minutes from Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Club Med on San Salvador has a very good dive set up.
Two boats, possibility of three dives a day. All pristine reef and wall dives. Pelagic species like Great Hammerhead, sometimes Humpback Whales.

A small island with only about 800 inhabitants.

You can walk to the club from the airplane.

That island is the easternmost one of the Bahamas. After that it's the open ocean. It sits atop a mountain, the drop-off is in the thousands of feet.

Historical note: the US built an airbase and underwater listening station during the cold war. They had underwater microphones listening to passing Soviet submarines bound for Cuba.. They left the landing strip and barracks after the Cuban crisis. Club Med took over and modified the base, turning it into a resort.

They even inherited a fully equipped dive chamber.

So, I think you will enjoy your trip where ever you go in the Bahamas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom