Bahamas trip suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j1j2j38

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestions for hotel/dive resorts? A package hotel dive package would be nice, perhaps all inclusive if that's an option. It would be somewhat of an overlap trip with my brother coming the first half of the week, me coming the second half and my parents there the whole time. So a place with a 2 or 3 bedroom suite would be nice. Thanks for any suggestions on places to look! Shore diving in the afternoon would also be ideal if it's a place that offers that.

In the Bahamas San Salvador and club med would be the best diving! Exumas are cool, Eluthra, and Nassau would come in down the line! It depends on how hard core you want as fare as diving, shore activities? Stenal Key is cool as well????

We did a trip in Oct to Eleuthera. We stayed at the Cape Eleuthera Resort. They have an onsite dive boat and operator that I realy enjoyed diving with. Great place, great food, short hops to a bunch of dive sites.

It's remote though, you have what you have at the resort and it's a long trip to anything else.

I agree that Small Hope in Andros is a great place for diving. There really isn't shore diving, but you can snorkel off the dock. It's all inclusive -- including alcoholic which is a rarity these days. Great family owned resort. They have a few two bedroom cottages which could work out nicely.

In the Bahamas San Salvador and club med would be the best diving! Exumas are cool, Eluthra, and Nassau would come in down the line! It depends on how hard core you want as fare as diving, shore activities? Stenal Key is cool as well????

What do you mean by hardcore diving???

I just got back from a two week trip: A week on the Aqua Cat in the Exumas and a week at Cape Eleuthera Resort.

Aqua Cat was great except that it has such a shallow draft that it bounces around like a cork, so beware if you are subject to seasickness. Other than that, five stars.

Cape Eleuthera resort has enormous villas (two bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs, and a big living room, full kitchen, and half bath downstairs). Very luxurious. The cafe has good food but a very limited selection. I'd advise buying groceries before leaving Rock Sound, and you can cook for yourself at least some meals.

The dive operation was UNACCEPTABLE. Very friendly, very laid back, never punctual, rental gear in BAD shape (one kid got a BC that leaked air, and one woman got a depth gauge that did not function). Air fills were always low (2700 to 2800 psi) which kept the dives shorter than I wanted. The family that was there at the same time as I never got the AOW classes they were promised. And on the last day my gear was left out in the rain so I ended up having to pack my gear WET. Needless to say, I will not be back.

The diving itself was quite nice, but not spectacular. The coral appeared to my uneducated eye to be in good health, and I was (as always) flabbergasted by the amazing shapes and forms.

Being winter, the seas were rough more often than not, and I was often seasick.

A five-mil wetsuit was recommended and I was glad I had it.

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom