Bahamas trip report-Nassau and Harbour Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from the Bahamas, May 11-17.

Did some great diving, got alot of beach time and R&R.

Bahamas are definately not the place for budget, backpacker type travel, which I knew going in. I wanted to go somewhere with some really great diving and it was. I definately had some bad experiences and some very good ones.

They have it set up so you cannot get a bus to/from the airport, part of the wealthy traveller thing I guess.

Nassau is not a great place and its best to stick to a small area of waterfront that has the tourist shops, the rest can be pretty rough. Good local eats at Imperial, right across from the British Clonial Hilton hotel. Nice little guest house one block from Bay street, on Market-Mignon guest house(45$) a night. Very clean and the owners are a nice Greek couple, Mary and Steve, they are great to exchange stories and Steve was a teenager during the revolution and WW2 in Greece. A good deal of touts and beggars to harass you. More good local seafood to be had at Arawak cay, about a mile from the strip.

The other major tourist area is Cable beach, which is a nice beach but very commercial and lots of activities

I did the shark feeding dive with Stuart Coves, they are on the far end of the island and provide transport. However they did not show up to pick me up as scheduled, after a few phone calls another shuttle picked me up. I was a little rushed but they held the boat. This was a great experience and quiet a rush. There were about 15 Caribbean Reef sharks up to about 7-8 feet and they are close enough to you that they touch you with their fins! Also a couple of groupers about 6 ft long and 200-300 lbs. and the usual assortment of tropical reef fish. I had decided before I went that I would be fine as long as I followed instructions, which are basically to keep your arms and hands near your body. This ranks right up there with other adreniline things I have done like racing cars, mountain climbing, skydiving, etc. Stuart Coves has a very nice setup and has a video and picture package available if you want to drop about an extra 100$

My other stop was Harbour island, via the Bahamas Fast Ferry. The ferry is very nice and a good deal at 100$ round trip. Harbour island is very nice and safe. More golf carts than cars, and you need one to as the island is full of hills. Of course on my budget I got alot of exercise walking all over the island. I had a dive package with Valentines dive shop and when I got there I was informed the Port Authority had told them not to take their boats out because they were not owned by a Bahamian. Not sure if this is the real story or not, but if it is the Bahamian government has a ways to go in learning how to treat visitors So of my 6 dives I had planned with them I got to do 2 and I did them with Ocean Fox divers, and they were a very good dive shop, Andy knows his business and I would not hesitate to recommend them. The little diving I did there was good but not outstanding. Maybe at some different sites it could be better. I can not say much about Valentines as I never got to dive with them. The owner was at least somewhat accomidating in getting me out diving with Ocean Fox

Harbour Island has the most amazingly beautiful beach that I have ever seen so far!!!
Clean pink powdery sand and clear turqoise water as far as you can see! and a handful(only of people)
Nothing I could say would convey how wonderful it is.
It is often listed in the top 10 beaches in the world and I can see why.

In summary I would say the Bahamas is great for AI or Cruiseshippers but not so much for budget/backpacker types.
It has been blessed with amazing natural beauty and the people are very friendly, proud and independent.
It is not unusual to be greeted as you walk by a stranger in the street, definately in the out islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom