Bahamas Master Collision With Freighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterglutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In a collision that occurs between two vessels that are underway, both will be apportioned some of the fault. There is no such thing as getting rear-ended in a boat.

DandyDon

Old men ought to be explorers
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Did you read my first post from Undercurrent at the top of the page?
Oh yeah, but I took as "while traveling from Bimini South to Tiger Beach" included a stop where it was hit. Sorry I confused the thread and thanks for clarifying.

Now I have to wonder why he didn't just veer left or right to get out of the way, but maybe it happened in a narrow passage?

Wookie

Curmudgeon Apprentice
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Oh yeah, but I took as "while traveling from Bimini South to Tiger Beach" included a stop where it was hit. Sorry I confused the thread and thanks for clarifying.

Now I have to wonder why he didn't just veer left or right to get out of the way, but maybe it happened in a narrow passage?
Again, that’s why the rules for stand on vessels are as stated. A stand on vessel must maintain course and speed until a collision is obvious (I’m paraphrasing rule17(b) here). Once a collision is obvious, both masters must take action to avoid a collision. If both turned to port to avoid, they could have turned into each other.

And the passage from Bimini to TB is about 10 hours at 10 knots. No time for a nap after the night dive.

bakodiver391

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
And the"hits" keep coming for Master Liveaboards and their sister company, the Siren fleet. Even if not at fault, they just seem unlucky.

Wookie

Curmudgeon Apprentice
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
And the"hits" keep coming for Master Liveaboards and their sister company, the Siren fleet. Even if not at fault, they just seem unlucky.
At some point, their insurance company is going to have their “luck” run out I would think. I’ve never in my life heard of any fleet including oilfield boats, RO-ROs, tankers, etc having such an exceptional run of “bad luck”.

Dan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Fist time I heard about Yemaya was when it was still operating in Panama and going to Malpelo, until the time when Sten Johansson, cruise director of Yemaya rescued Peter Morse from being lost at sea, as posted here:

Talking about Master fleet running some bad lucks, I was supposed to be at French Polynesian Master back in May 2020. Something happened to the boat and cancelled my trip. It’s now trying to operate in Galapagos as Galapagos Master II. They never told me what exactly happened to the boat. They still owe me that trip, which is supposedly transferring to Galapagos trip.

Dan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, my quick search on French Polynesian Master in this forum led me to this thread:

soldsoul4foos

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Maybe it's just me, but being the smaller vessel, I think I'd be extremely cautious around container ships. They don't seem to be the most forgiving. I don't have a 100 Ton master license, but I have done quite a few off shore trips in cold water fishing with friends and family. One time, we did cut in front of a tanker maybe 15 miles off shore. There was plenty of room, and at the time, it seemed like a good idea. Once we got in front of her, even with what seemed like a safe distance, she got big and her speed became much greater than I had thought. It wasn't close, but I probably will just wait and watch it go by the next time. :)

Wookie

Curmudgeon Apprentice
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Maybe it's just me, but being the smaller vessel, I think I'd be extremely cautious around container ships. They don't seem to be the most forgiving. I don't have a 100 Ton master license, but I have done quite a few off shore trips in cold water fishing with friends and family. One time, we did cut in front of a tanker maybe 15 miles off shore. There was plenty of room, and at the time, it seemed like a good idea. Once we got in front of her, even with what seemed like a safe distance, she got big and her speed became much greater than I had thought. It wasn't close, but I probably will just wait and watch it go by the next time. :)
No one said it was a container ship. It was described as a freighter. On cruisers forum site, it was described as a small freighter, so probably not much bigger than they are.

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
While reading this thread I notice the "Bahamas Master with 20% discount!" post from September in the Similar threads area below....then at the bottom of the similar threads list is "A Siren-Master Fleet Sale - 40% discount" from 2019. Had to chuckle at the irony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Top Bottom