Bahamas: diving during thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishfriend

Registered
Reaction score
My first important question is: Is diving good during Thanksgiving in Bahamas - meaning can we expect reasonably calm seas, low winds, great visibility and no cancelled dives?

And if yes, island decision is killing me. We are most likely going to land in Nassau and are open to transferring to low key outer islands for fabulous diving. My limited research is pointing me to San Salvador (and its hammerhead sharks - can i see them during thanksgiving) but the availability of only 2 accomodation options is putting me off. Is it still worth it? Are there other small budget friendly vacation rentals? How are the other islands for diving? We are into big pelagic sightings if possible.

If Bahamas is not a good destination for diving during thanksgiving, can u please suggest budget alternatives for around a week's stay?
Thanks so much ...

fishfriend:
My first important question is: Is diving good during Thanksgiving in Bahamas - meaning can we expect reasonably calm seas, low winds, great visibility and no cancelled dives?

And if yes, island decision is killing me. We are most likely going to land in Nassau and are open to transferring to low key outer islands for fabulous diving. My limited research is pointing me to San Salvador (and its hammerhead sharks - can i see them during thanksgiving) but the availability of only 2 accomodation options is putting me off. Is it still worth it? Are there other small budget friendly vacation rentals? How are the other islands for diving? We are into big pelagic sightings if possible.

If Bahamas is not a good destination for diving during thanksgiving, can u please suggest budget alternatives for around a week's stay?
Thanks so much ...

If you want calm seas, go in August (as long as there isn't a Hurricane).
I usually go to Grand Bahama Island at the end of October. Nassau isn't that far away. I imagine it would be the same.
We usually miss 1 day a week of diving because of rough seas.
This time of year the water temp is dropping and the seas are getting rougher.

Best of Luck.

Thanks for your reply. I am now seriously considering Grand Bahama since it is working out cheaper than San Salvador.

- You mean March or November? I am guessing you mean March.

So any Grand Bahamas stay, diving tips are greatly appreciated.

Hey Fishfriend, I just took a Thanksgiving trip on the Aquacat. On a 6 day trip we had one really rough day, two ok days, and 3 picture perfect ones. I managed to see a 7-8 foot hammerhead and a decent amount of reef sharks. I would recommend it.

fishfriend:
Thanks for your reply. I am now seriously considering Grand Bahama since it is working out cheaper than San Salvador.

- You mean March or November? I am guessing you mean March.

So any Grand Bahamas stay, diving tips are greatly appreciated.

I mean in November.

We stay at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort
We dive with Grand Bahama Scuba

I certainly would not cancel a trip just because it is in November. You can get many good diving days in November. San Salvador offers much better diving than Nassau and Grand Bahama though. San Savador, Cat Island, Rum Cay, Conception ... they are all in the same general area and offer "The Best of the Bahamas". You get what you pay for :)

There is a live aboard that sails out of Florida, they run around the Bahamas chumming for sharks then when they come around in you go. I cant remember the name maybe someone here knows it.

Yea otherwise I would think SS or Bimini. Grand Bahamas is not considered to be in the same league.

rexman24:
There is a live aboard that sails out of Florida, they run around the Bahamas chumming for sharks then when they come around in you go. I cant remember the name maybe someone here knows it.

Either SailJuliet or Abernathys boat? Juliet is out of Miami and Abernathy is out of Palm Beach. Not sure about the chumming part, other than Stuart Cove in Nassau.

Consider also Blackbeards. They sail out of the Bahamas.

Back
Top Bottom